The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 28, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
monty98

1847 walter colt

I have obtained a 1847 walker with a conversion to shoot cartridges. It is swt to 45lc. Was wondering if any one is handl loading 4 this? If so what are they
Monty
Old July 28, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Monty

I reload .45 LC but not for a conversion. I shoot them in 1873 Colt clones and a Rossi Model 92 Winchester.

For the Walker at 4 pounds you should be good with a full load. It is about 35 grains (IIRC). For the 1873 Colt, I back it off to about 28 to keep recoil under control. (Big loads in that pistol really kick like a mule but your Walker should be okay.) I use a 255 gr RNFP from a Lee mold. From a 5.5 inch barrel I think that gives me about 1000 fps. Heavy load from a Walker with that long barrel (Front sight and rear sight are not even in the same ZIP code) and you might be up around 1200. I get somewhere around that from the Winchester model 92 and that is a 16 inch barrel. I am using a pretty stiff lube that I make up from either mutton tallow or lard and beeswax. For the light loaded rounds I fill with cornmeal separated with a card.