The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2013, 04:27 AM   #1
IdahoG36

Anybody else shot/carry the Barnes TacXPD rounds?

I found this at my local Cabela's recently, and it is expensive stuff. After reading several product and user reviews online, I decided to pick some up.

I bought 3 boxes of 9mm 115gr +p, and 3 boxes of .45 185gr+p.

I really like the Barnes all copper bullet. It is a solid performer. The TacXPD rounds have almost no flash whatsoever that I could see while shooting them at the local indoor range.

Recoil was not bad at all with the 9mm +p, and it was pretty snappy with the .45 +p. I believe the 9mm +p is running about 1140 fps, and the .45 +p at 1000fps.

I am now carrying this in my Springfield XDs .45 and in my Ruger SR45. My fiance carries it in her Kahr CM9 as well.

Like I said, it isn't cheap, but it is really good ammo.
Old July 23, 2013, 04:40 AM   #2
kcub

Academy had some in .40 and .45+P. I bought a coupla boxes of each, have yet to touch one off. It seems like a reasonable substitute to the gold standard CorBon DPX which is very hard to find right now. I prefer CorBon because they have the most testing behind it, they've done it the longest, and they seem to squeeze an extra 50 - 100 fps out of each load compared to other makes like pressure ratings.

Per Barnes website, Asym, Double-tap, Black Hills, Federal, and Buffalo Bore also load the Barnes X bullet.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-ammunition/