The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 11, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1
HOGSHOOTER

Looking for some decent trail cam .

Would like to know what kind of trail cam. you have the best luck getting good photos with.battery life and trailcam life a plus.HOGSHOOTER
Old March 11, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Rmart30

Best one ive found is the moultrie M80 BLX (black flash) .... Can be found online for about $150..... The black flash works great. Picture clarity is great, and the all black lenses make it much easier to hide than the standard glowing IR screen.
The M80 has been replaced this year to a 10 MP camera instead of 8mp ... I think its a M990 now.

I have 6 of the M80 black flash ones. I use 8gb or 16gb cards and I leave them out for 2 months between checking them. 3k+ pictures and batteries still having life left in them are the norm in warmer weather. I always change batteries when they get below 50% in winter, and 40% in warmer weather.

I have only had one that gave me problems when new and Moultrie swapped it for a new one.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Rmart30

Here is a couple of pics from one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0082.jpg (300.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0260.jpg (293.7 KB, 35 views)
Old March 11, 2013, 09:49 PM   #4
BuckRub

I'd choose Moultrie again if I needed more. They make all good ones, easy to operate and last months on batteries. I like the ones I own.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:05 PM   #5
thallub

i like the Stealth Cam cameras. Mine are set up to use 12 volt electric fence batteries. The battery lasts for 3-5 months between charges.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:31 PM   #6
BuckRub

My Moultrie lasts 7 months on 4-C batteries. Lol
Old March 13, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
HOGSHOOTER

Always liked my PREDATOR TRAILCAMS but Company not around anymore and feel a bit lossed without them .Bought a Wild Innovations10MP IR WIFI,And work good for two days and quit working sent it back replacement a be here fri.You told me what you like what trail cam should i stay away from.HOGSHOOTER
Old March 13, 2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Moultrie D55IR. I have 7 and really like them. $100
Old March 17, 2013, 05:07 PM   #9
HOGSHOOTER

The Moultrie seem to be most liked so far. SHOCKING how many brands and type of trailcams they are to pick from makes picking one that works more than a couple days to a week.Hard to do.HOGSHOOTER
Old March 17, 2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The more expensive they are. The better they are. Features and battery longevity especially. You can go from simple memory card storage to having the camera itself transmit its imaging straight to your home or lap top computers on a regular basis. (if ?__ there's a cell phone tower reasonably close) Mid range cost ones in moultrie bushnell brands. I've got no complains in my using of either. The only general problem with game cameras. >Correct placement and theft. My advice: If you own the property and can keep others from entering at their whim. They'll work great for you. If its State land or un-posted land where you don't reside. Good chance you camera/s will grow legs and walk away. Stolen game cameras are easier to re-sell than a bag of fresh Florida oranges.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:14 PM   #11
BJE80

Covert is making some darn nice cameras for a decent price. Check them out.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

I don't know that I can go with the more expensive they are that the better they are. I have had pricier cameras crap out just after the warranty ran out. Every brand makes some dogs. That is obvious if you go to the reviews and forum posts at www.chasingame.com, http://www.chasingame.com/forum/index.php

As for cellular cameras, the Covert Spec Ops Code Black is what I use. They work well. Moultrie requires a paid program and a website to view your images (at least that is the program my buddy has), but you can change settings on the camera from home and check its status. My buddy hasn't been terribly happy with his results.

For the Covert and a couple other brands, you just need a sim card and if you go with the GoPhone route, you can get 1000 images a month for $10 (AT&T or T-Mobile systems), or you can add it to an unlimited family plan (AT&T and T-Mobile). I keep a running set of images here and here...
http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/HornHillCam1/library/
http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/Ho...ibrary/?page=1

These are emailed to me and I upload to Photobucket.

The Covert Spec Ops Code Black emails or texts (or both) images less than 80K in size, but records the images on the card in the camera at full resolution (3, 5, or 8 mb). These run about $300-330 depending on if you can catch them on sale or not. I am getting 1200+ images out of a set of 12 rechargeable AA batteries (Eneloop 1900 mah) before the cellular part stops sending images, though the camera itself continues to function.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:13 PM   #13
HOGSHOOTER

Im using them on public hunting areas 70% of the time.and some of my trailcam have already walked off.So need to keep cost down in case this happens again ,around 80 to 150. You can tell by my name what im trying to pin down.HOGSHOOTER
Old March 30, 2013, 12:53 AM   #14
BIGR

I have two Moultrie M80 cameras and they have done better than more expensive cameras.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:58 AM   #15
Garycw

+1 on the Moultrie

Sent from iPhone
Old March 30, 2013, 12:43 PM   #16
HOGSHOOTER

That chasingame.com had lots of good information.Do you know of anyother sites like this.HOGSHOOTER
Old March 30, 2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Double Naught Spy

There is also...
http://www.trailcampro.com/trailcamerareviews.aspx
http://game-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/

I like the technical reviews for their technical information, but they are often short on long term endurance or results outside of a limited set of parameters. That is where the benefits of user-reviews comes in as from the forum section of chasingame. However, the user-reviews have their own shortcomings as well which can include some huge product biases that are both positive and negative. The most common and most innocent biases are those of the ignorant, IMHO. If the product works for them, it is a great product regardless of what is available on the market. Some folks will tell you a whole product line is garbage because they had one bad camera.

My strategy for finding cameras (and other items) is to figure out what products meet my needs and perform well according to the technical reviews and then look at the user reviews for the types of problems that crop up. Any particular camera may have an issue, but if you are seeing the same issues crop up in multiple reviews, then that is likely more of a problem with the particular model of camera, such as with the LCD displays on the old Moultries.
Old April 2, 2013, 11:02 PM   #18
kep150

Bushnell trophy camera has about the best battery life of anything I've ver used. I'm getting around 15,000 photos per set of batteries.

Also running some moultrie mx80 right now and they have a better night shot than the bushnell, but I have to run the more expensive lithium batteries or I only get 1800-2000 photos per set of batteries. 12 cameras and battery cost can add up in a hurry with a thousand photos per week.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:21 AM   #19
HOGSHOOTER

Sounds like you have your area staked out pretty good with 12 cams.Other then cablelocks what do you use to kept the cams.from being taken far as I know they do not make lockboxs for my cams thought about a heavy coated chain with cut proof locks.HOGSHOOTER