The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Dan Newberry

.243 Winchester and W780

I could not return a PM due to the fact that the system said it was blocked for some reason... strange...

so here is the gist of it, minus user's name...

Quote:
Hey Dan I was wondering, you shoot a ton of .243 winchester, and I like to shoot it as well, I want to know have you ever tried Magnum primers with this powder and 100 grain bullets?
I haven't, but that combo should work very well. Winchester is using about 46 grains of the 780 behind their 100's... and a magnum primer would likely work great in that combo.

Dan
Old February 1, 2013, 06:55 AM   #2
hooligan1

Hey Dan, My current loading with that powder is the max load of 47.5 grains, so I wanted input and you seem like THE man.
Thanks for your help.
Hooligan1

( I will start my testing over, once I have found a supply of CCI 250's)
Old February 1, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Dan Newberry

I'm sure not "the man" ... but as to the magnum primer with ball powders, Speer recommended them for years... they might still, I don't have the current Speer manual.

I think a WLR primer would work well too, however.

What velocity are you getting with 100 grain bullets and the 47.5 grain charge?

Dan
Old February 1, 2013, 05:16 PM   #4
hooligan1

I don't have a chrono, so thats' up in the air, but it's accurate, repeatable, easy recoil.
I pulled bullets from the Winchester 100 grain "grey box" cartridges and found that the powder they use resembles the 780 Supreme,( and they shot well from our rifles) so I picked up a lb and started testing, hitting the OCW at 47.5 with the Sierra Gamekings 100 grainers.
I'm shooting a Mark X Zastava with a #301 lightweight Timney, set right at 2.5 lbs. The stock is freefloated but not bedded. When I can afford I will send it off or do it myself. But right now it shoots under an inch at 100 yds.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

I run W780 and AA3100 behind 95 gr bullets (I don't shoot 100s).

I have run CCI LR, CCI LRM, Federal LRM, and WLR primers in the loads (old rifle). None of them proved to be any better than another, as far as accuracy. However, I wasn't shooting over a chronograph, so my only data points were the holes in the target.

Currently (new rifle), I believe I am only using magnum primers with W780; but I don't have the data right in front of me.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:40 PM   #6
hooligan1

I'm planning on testing the CCI 250 primer and Winchester 780 Supreme, and I will be testing it with both 95 grain Ballistic Tips, and 100 grain Sierra Gamekings. The 95 grain B-tips haven't been easy to find the perfect powder for as of yet, but the Gamekings were easy, it came right along, so now I will start over and give the magnum primer a shot (no pun intended).
I still have test loads with standard CCI 200 Primers, and RL 22 powder, with the 95 grain B-Tips, hopefully I can find something this bullet likes, if not then I will move back to lighter bullets, maybe say the 90 grain Accubond, or even lighter for varmit shootin.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:52 AM   #7
hooligan1

Just finished loading 3 test loads with 100 grain Sierra Gamekings: 5 rounds each.
1. CCI 250 primer
2. R-P brass
3. 45.0 grains of Winchester 780 Supreme.
46.0 grains of Winchester 780 Supreme.
47.0 grains of Winchester 780 Supreme.
4. oal 2.345 w/comparator
Old December 24, 2013, 09:56 PM   #8
gwtx

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm very interested in knowing how the "test" turned out with the 780. I want to work up that same load, and I couldn't contact hooligan any other way.
Old December 24, 2013, 10:57 PM   #9
hooligan1

You got me now brother, and the testing with Magnum primers ended up being a wash, they didn't have the repeatibility that CCI 200 primers had, so for now I'm sticking with those and 47.5 grains Winchester 780 Supreme.
I haven't shot them through my new chrono yet, but when weather is a little warmer, I'll spend more time on that bullet powder combo.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:06 AM   #10
gwtx

Thanks for the reply, and info. I've got a few rounds loaded to test, starting at 45.0 gr of 780, 100gr SGK's seated
2.250"ogive/ 2.650"col in federal cases with WLR's for primers. Shooting a new(less than 100rds) vanguard 24" bbl. I've shot a couple groups under 1" with some "store bought" hornady american whitetail ammo. I've been working up a load with H4831sc, and it has produced at least one group sub moa, but not consistent, so I thought I'd try the 780. Looks good on paper, and apparently you've had some success with it. Looking forward to your results. Thanks, Gary
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR