The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 8, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
shredder4286

Choices and reviews of rangefinders boggling my mind!!!!

I've recently decided that I'd like to have a rangefinder for several purposes. 1) to simply help me get better at estimating range 2) for bowhunting/shooting 3) for rifle hunting/shooting. I made a deal with a guy locally and bought one of the old Leica LRF 1200 models. It was pretty crappy, actually. I measured out exactly 60 ft in my back yard, and the Leica would measure it as 22 and 23 yards all day. I sold that, and got a Nikon riflehunter 1000 which was very accurate at the 20 yard mark, and a BIG improvement from the Leica. However, I still wasn't quite satisfied, so I returned it to Sportsman's Warehouse and got a refund. I've since read a plethora of reviews and product descriptions on rangefinders in the same class/price point. At this point, my head is spinning. I've somehow settled on 3 RF's: the Leupold rx-1000, the nikon monarch 1200, or the bushnell 1500 elite. I've read both great and gruesome reviews of all three of these RF's, but have only had my hands on one, the Nikon (which I was very pleased with) My hunting buddy has a bushnell 1500 that i'll be checking out at the range tomorrow, but who knows where I'll be after that... anyone had a similar experience? Wise words to share? I just don't wanna be stuck paying almost $400 for an RF that I hate and am stuck with
Old June 11, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
PH/CIB

I used to work at Scheels in the gun department and I would recommend going to Scheels or Cabelas or a similar store and trying all three out to see about accuracy and how they feel in your hand and how the controls work.

I bow and rifle hunt and since most bow hunting is within 30-40 yards and most rifle hunting at 400 yards or less,,,probably all of them should work well.

I have the Leica 1600 and the Swarovski and am very happy with both of them but they are more costly than the ones you mention.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old June 11, 2012, 03:39 PM   #3
shredder4286

I ended up having the opportunity to get hands on with all 3 RF's. The nikon is my favorite next to the Leupold 1000. The one thing the leupy does have over the other two is size- that thing is nice and compact. At any rate, I found the Nikon Monarch on amazon for $369 so I bought it. Should be getting here wednesday