The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 17, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1
yellermelon

Anybody know much about the Spanish ruby pistols?

I got one from my great grandpaw, I realize it's a cheaply made inexpensive pistol, that being said I like it and want to shoot it. On my first attempt it shot but wouldn't eject. My self proclaimed gunsmith friend worked on it and had it ejecting... Like an idiot he did this inside and had a accidental discharge lol. Yeah almost shot his new tv. Long story short he removed my firing pin and said he wanted nothing to do with it. I'd like to tear it back down and get it functioning properly, also I'm not keen on the finish, nor do I think it's original. I can post pics if there's anyone here who knows about these pistols. Thanks!
Chris
Old January 17, 2012, 10:56 PM   #2
gyvel

Pictures would definitely help, and a name. There were literally dozens of these "Ruby" types made by small Spanish gun makers in the Pyrenees.

The firing pins are usually simple lathe turned items. If your friend disposed of it, they are easy enough to duplicate.

Last edited by gyvel; January 19, 2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old January 17, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3
yellermelon

I still have the pin. And you can't make out the name due to what I believe is a non original nickel or chrome coating let me get some pictures....
Old January 17, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
yellermelon

Old January 17, 2012, 11:30 PM   #5
benogil

What ammo did you use? The advice I have seen on Ruby's is to use European, it is loaded hotter. Some will not cycle on the less powerful American.
Old January 17, 2012, 11:41 PM   #6
yellermelon

It was Remington I believe
Old January 18, 2012, 11:47 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many of those pistols were made for the French during WWI, and many were also sold for export afterwards. A large number of companies were involved and quality ranged from quite good to abysmal.

That one appears to have been badly rusted and then polished heavily, removing a lot of metal. If you want to fix it enough to shoot it, that is your choice, but I wouldn't spend any significant amount of money on it, as the value is essentially that of a paperweight.

Jim
Old January 18, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Shadi Khalil

There is no such thing as an accidental discharge and certainly isn't anything to LOL about.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:02 PM   #9
yellermelon

Yeah nothing to laugh about I agree I was laughing because he should have taken the pistol outside to cycle the rounds.