The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 19, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
JACK308

what would you do?

Your walking through the woods and have a 44 mag on you under your jacket
and you find yourself face to face with a WOLF! I know they are still protected in some States but this could be the end for you! when it JUMPS you - so what do you do? shoot to kill or fire near the animal hopping to scare it away?
Old July 19, 2011, 12:25 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

I wouldnt shoot it if its protected..

...I would try to scare it away with a shot first

..tho if it is actually gonna try to eat me for dinner...then I would shoot it..in self defense.
Old July 19, 2011, 12:28 PM   #3
zincwarrior

I'm not concerned about wolves. Chupacabra or scary spiders you betcha. Wolves, not so much.

Here doggie doggie!
Old July 19, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
FrontSight

If it's protected, well then you probably can't even shoot just to scare it (that would be harassing).

BUT, if it starts acting aggressively, or outright attacks, well then SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, is hopefully gonna have a nice wolf hide on their wall, if I have anything to say about it.
Old July 19, 2011, 12:57 PM   #5
JACK308

I hear ya! but I look at it alittle different, a face to face encounter with a wolf you cant expect that thing to back down on it own if it really want you you have to worry first about your SAFETY! so I would be watching the eyes they will tell you if its going to attack or not and if they look mean I SHOT TO KILL! and even if your caught by the DNR they should UNDERSTAND about your reaction to stay safe AT LEST THEY SHOULD.
Old July 19, 2011, 12:57 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I'm am part of the group of people that thinks Wolves have an important place in the ecosystem, and killing them should be limited to necessity (not just because you don't like wolves).

However, if you have to kill one, the general rule in this part of the country is about the same as for Great Pyrenees left by sheep herders, or livestock left on public land after the area has been closed: Shoot to kill. Don't bother digging a hole. The only difference is that it's in your best interest to contact a game warden, if it was a wolf. (And it doesn't hurt to let them know about the idiot rancher that's illegally grazing, if you just put down some goats, sheep, or cattle.)
Old July 19, 2011, 12:57 PM   #7
BIG P

IF it jumps you,I look at it just like a Pitbull high speed LEAD poison
I'm protected too.
Old July 19, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Saltydog235

If I'm by myself, then no one is around to see what's going down. I sorta like me just as I am and certainly don't need a wolf/bear/chuckapabra/lizardman or any other toothy critter chewing on me. Shoot it and keep on going.

I've been attacked by a couple of marauding pit bulls when I was a teenager. A close by old deer stand and some old boots kept me from getting mauled. A 30-30 turns a pit bulls head into a hollowed out mess.
Old July 19, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Ed4032

Doesn't the wolf know that it is in a No Attack Zone. That should be enough. After all we just need common sense laws to stop wolf attacks. Maybe you should post a few signs too.
Old July 19, 2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Skadoosh

I would the wolf attack and shred me...because I wouldnt want to be arrested.

Old July 19, 2011, 01:34 PM   #11
mquail

The chance of a wolf attack is so minute it's not worth discussing. But, if for some odd reason your attacked shoot the damned thing and forget about it. Don't turn yourself in to the authorities to have your name smeared all over, just forget about it. Don't even bother to practice the second of the 3 S's. Just leave.
Old July 19, 2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Saltydog235

On second thought, you should contact your congress representative, let them form a committee, a focus group, study and model it, write a law about it, ratify the law and the 2000 pages of ammendments and changes, then get presidential approval. Wait..............................didn't that just happen with health care.
Old July 19, 2011, 02:05 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One question... Am I being video taped at the time the wolf decides I am on the menu?

Brent
Old July 19, 2011, 02:15 PM   #14
603Country

If the wolf is close enough to me that I'm worried, and if he shows any sort of aggressive body language, then I'd shoot to kill. I can always pay the fine if I have too, but the wolf won't even get fined if he kills me. They are big and they are quick and could be on you in a microsecond. Better safe than sorry. And as for what somebody said about how great it is to have wolves in our ecosystem, that's fine. I know there's a food chain, but it's only acceptable to me to be on the top of the food chain. Anything else, and I'm protein for the wolf.
Old July 19, 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
markj

Quote:
you find yourself face to face with a WOLF
Every wolf I ever saw was the rear end moving away fast. Never heard of anyone getting attacked by a wolf.

Best just stay out of the woods, them lions tigers and bears may be too much for ya
Old July 19, 2011, 03:09 PM   #16
JACK308

MARKJ are you SERIOUS about what you said? there are plenty of people who get killed by WOLVES and MT.LIONS. There was a hiker in Canada who was EATEN BY these gentle creatures or how about the lions SNACKING on the hikers of CA. where there PROTECTED.
Old July 19, 2011, 04:21 PM   #17
pvt.Long

well if you turn tail and run it will chase you. the bang from a 44 mag should scare it off. if it was me i would shoot right next to it at the ground, so I can line up a shot if it comes at me.
Old July 19, 2011, 05:19 PM   #18
dahermit

From what I have always read and heard, there has only been one attack on a human by healthy, full bred (not wolf-dog cross breed), wolves in North American. That was a recent history event where a pack killed a woman somewhere in Canada. If that be the case worry more about being struck by lightning.
Old July 19, 2011, 05:22 PM   #19
AllenJ

Shoot to kill, not to scare. Any animal that attacks a human needs to be removed from the ecosystem for the protection of everyone.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:57 PM   #20
WildBill45

You need to worry about people, not wolves! They rarely if ever attack humans. Besides, if you have your gun under your jacket, and he is that close, my money is on the wolf; if he wanted to kill you!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old July 19, 2011, 08:27 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Odds are that some face-to-face encounter with a wolf will be unexpected to both parties. Odds are that Mr. Wolf will practice being elsewhere at near the speed of light, or at least of sound.

However, I'd definitely work toward making an IPSC Grand Master look slow insofar as being ready to shoot if need be. I'd be yelling all manner of insults at a wolf which was not leaving--as I looked at a good sight picture.

Otherwise? I can only note that "Silence is golden" is an ancient bit of advice from parents to children.
Old July 19, 2011, 08:31 PM   #22
Goatwhiskers

Well, what are you supposed to do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant? Goatwhiskers
Old July 20, 2011, 07:08 AM   #23
mquail

Back when peregrine falcons were endangered they were eating endangered piping plovers. Today peregrine falcons aren't endangered but I bet they are still eating endangered piping plovers

Last edited by mquail; July 20, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old July 20, 2011, 07:14 AM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I and Mr.Eatman have pretty much the exact same "plan of action"...

I do not "multi-task" well at all so warning shots are not something I plan or train for...

If the wolf don't run due to fear... He will run from the humiliation I incite with my verbal dressing down of his questionable lineage with colorful verbiage...

And as a writer once quoted a line used by some nefarious characters "Three can keep a secret if 2 are dead..."

Brent
Old July 20, 2011, 09:28 AM   #25
chucknbach

Would lay the gun down and pull out the knife. Always wanted to take on a wolf with a knife. Problem is, wolves usually aren't alone and I'm thinking I might lose against a pack.