The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 25, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
andyjs3589

rust in mossberg shotgun chamber

I have rust in the chamber of my mossberg shotgun barrels. I have a mossberg 535 that came with a field, slug and turkey barrel. There is rust in the chamber of all 3 of them, but it is not past the chamber. They were cleaned every time after use. It is just surface rust and doesn't look too serious. I was going to run to my gun store tomorrow morning and get some rust remover and try to get rid of it. There is no rust in my 870 or any other guns. Anyone have some special tricks or tips that makes it easier to remove?
Old August 27, 2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Mac's!

A chamber hone is the best way to clean up the chambers and put a nice, functional pattern in them too. The hone needs to be "wet" with a continous flow of honing oil but I use mine with plenty of running water. (Yeah, I know it wears them out faster but it's a lot more convenient) Whichever type of lube/rinse you use, be safe and use an air drill for spinning it. If you use an electric drill with a solvent rinse, it could go boom. And of course, a water rinse does not do well with electric motors! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://wwwshootiniron.com
Old August 27, 2009, 06:52 PM   #3
banditt007

no need to go to the gun store. rust is rust and steel is steel. Maybe try some navel jelly? dunno what that would do to the finish if it go on the outside though. but it should work fine. i'd suggest prob a wax type coating of some sort inside there to prevent it in the future.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Big G

If it is just surface rust, you can get you some http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5173/Bore-Pastes and a bore mop. Then just add a little elbow grease.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:41 AM   #5
Big G

Shotgun chambers get overlooked alot, they get plastic fouling in the from the shell going in and out.That gives moisture a place to hide.A brush that has been squeezed through the bore will be too small to clean the chamber good, use a slotted tip and tight patches with a solvent that specificaly says it works on plastic fouling.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:45 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Don't use rust removers! At best, they will etch the steel, leaving it more prone to rust in the future.
Just a wad of 0000 steel wool scrubbed vigorously will remove the rust. After scrubbing, clean the chamber thoroughly with WD 40 (a little more rust will come out,) dry the chamber, and then oil it.

Tags
barrel , rust