The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1
keys85

Lee Dies...and rust

So the lee dies and shell holders are steel. They aren't rust proof, I understand that.

Some of my shell holders, not all of them, develop like a surface rust on them. It's not really rust but like a darker discoloration. None of my equipment is exposed to moisture, or left out in the open. When I first noticed this, I had always put a light coat of gun oil on the reloading equipment before putting it away.

Even with a light coat of oil, the shell holders still seem to discolor. What is going on? I know it's only aesthetics, but has anyone found a way to prevent this?

My fellow reloader says it has something to do with the oil from your hands when handling the equipment.
Old February 19, 2009, 10:28 PM   #2
amamnn

Having learned my lesson years ago with a Lee Loader, I have never allowed my Lee dies to sit with my grubby fingerprints all over them, so I have not had any significant rust problems with my dies and shell holders, trimmers, etc. However, I have a lazy friend who did not wipe his tools off with a silicone rag every time he used them, nor did he clean the inside of his dies.

He told me after soaking his Lee stuff in CLR for a weekend, it was ok again. Now he does the aforementioned cleaning drill.

P.S. It's not just Lee equipment that will rust.............
Old February 19, 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
publius

I use surgical latex gloves at my load bench. Eliminates the possibility of getting sweat on the equipment. I also disassemble my dies every once in a while and clean them as I do my guns, solvent then lightly oiled.
Old February 19, 2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Casimer

It could be that the patina that develops on shell holders results from stressing the steel by impacting it repeatedly on the die face.

I've noticed this on my shell holders as well. It seems to occur over time and you can't buff it off. Any longer, I just keep them clean and don't worry about the discoloration.

For my dies and ram, I'll spray them w/ Barricade, which I also use on my firearms.
Old February 20, 2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Tex S

Has anybody ever put a few light coats of black Rustoleum on the outer surface of their dies? Wonder if it would hurt anything???
Old February 20, 2009, 12:58 AM   #6
Inspector3711

They say a little molasses will take the rust off. Then just keep a light coat of oil on them. I wiped my first Lee set with Zep teflon oil when I got them and no rust after 6 months.