The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2007, 04:45 AM   #1
314EPW

454 casull advise

Just got a Raging bull and love it!I want to hunt deer and bear with his thing.What grain bullet do you rec. for deer and bear.I have alot of win 231 powder.Anyone have a load for this?The gun shoots 1 1/2 groups at 50 yds with winchester factory 250 grain.The sights need to be changed because their black on black,and these old eyes need help!I holding up an order at midway on reloading supplys until I hear from you guys.$1.25 a shot is just too expensive
thanks
ED
Old August 31, 2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Sevens

My post won't be much help to you (sorry!) but it's relevant anyway. You'll probably get some good answers here, but I'll bet you'd get even better answers in the hunting forum from the folks who know better about bullet performance on game from this caliber. So be sure to ask them, too.

What I wanted to say was about black on black sights... Across all my handguns, it seems like each is different. My 686 and my .45 both have orange insert front sights and I absolutely hate them and can't understand why anyone would want them. I suppose to each his own, but they drive me up a wall.

I've got the white outline rear sight and white dot front on my 1006 and I like that. But these orange front ramps... ugh, I hate 'em. My first choice in a handgun is black on black sights, and a nice big rear sight. One of my few true regrets in the shooting world... not getting that funky adjustable front sight when I bought my 686 back in the late 80's.

Anyway, congrats on the new cannon!
Old August 31, 2007, 07:57 AM   #3
jsflagstad

Anything....

Well, Pretty much any load you use will kill anything you intend to hunt.

I like the 250 grain Hornady XTP pushed as fast as your taste for recoil (and safety) will allow. Start low and work up to where you get good accuracy and power.

I would reccommend a Lee Factory Crimp die as well due to the recoil and bullet creep.

JSF
Old August 31, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Given that deer will fall to the .357 Magnum, and many fall to the .44 magnum each year, there probably isn't much of anything you can shoot from the Casull that won't drop them. I would focus on finding a load that you shoot accurately.

W231 is too fast for full magnum loads, which is why you aren't finding published loads for it. However, in the Casull, which will tolerate almost twice the pressure of a .44 magnum, you can still to .44 magnum power levels using 231. With the 250 grain Hornady XTP, that will happen at around 14 grains of 231 in the Casull.

Can't stand the orange sights, either. They are supposed to be for low light, but I have never been able to get them to group in low light. My eyes just don't see them the same way from one shot to the next. I don't know why? Some form of optical sight is a good choice for aging eyes.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 2, 2007, 02:00 AM   #5
50 shooter

You'll be better off switching to Win 296 or H110 for reloading the .454 Casull, probably get better results.

Jump over to www.loadswap.com and look up the .454 in the pistol section, there's about 40 loads for it with different weight bullets. For hunting I would go with a hardcast bullet somewhere around 300+ grains. I've shot 360 gr. hardcast bullets out of my RB and it's definately a handfull. Be sure to use a heavy enough crimp as the bullets can walk out of the case from the .454's recoil.
No time for rearranging.
Old September 2, 2007, 10:42 AM   #6
100W_Warlock

Yup... step up to W296

W296 and the Hornady 300gr XTP/magnum will just about KO anything you point the barrel at.

I have had really good luck with nickel plated Starline cases with W296 as well as Winchester brass. (for some reason, I can't get starline brass cases to shoot as well)

29gr of W296 and either CCI 450 or Rem 7 1/2 primers work best, so far.

I do use the Lee FCD with good success.
Old September 2, 2007, 08:23 PM   #7
paknheat

I also am wondering if the .454 Casull rnd can be loaded using .45 Colt dies, or do i need to buy a different set? I load the 250 gn Speer HP for .45 Colt but i am thinking of stepping it up to the .454 Casull.
Old September 2, 2007, 11:57 PM   #8
T-Bear

No problem, use the same dies and step on up to the casull.
Old September 4, 2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Namerifrats

Or, sell that Casull and step on up to the 500 Magnum Anyway, I use alot of H110, Blue Dot, and Lil' Gun in my 500 and have had good results with all of them. Should be able to get similar results from the 454. I started into reloading just because of this gun. I have no interest in paying $2.60 per round when I can roll my own for around $0.25 each, especially since I started casting my own bullets as well.
Old September 5, 2007, 02:38 PM   #10
rr2241tx

Taurus sells a good scope mount for the RB that slots in the holes in the rib and will take any Weaver pattern rings. The Winchester 250gr jacketed flat point loads will kill anything you can hit. I found some 300gr jacketed flat points by HSM for about half the price at Cabelas. Haven't reloaded any Casull, yet, but will probably use LilGun because it works well in the 460. Hodgdon's website should give you a starting load and a max load as soon as you settle on a bullet. I use Speer Gold Dot 300gr JHP Casull bullets in the 460 loads. As far as I can tell, they are essentially solids.