The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 29, 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Dre_sa

Questions for hunters who travel over seas

how many of you have planned a hunting trip to South Africa?
what was your experience like when you got here?
did you experience any inconveniences?

the reason i ask, is that there has been a recent article in a local news paper on the subject, i would just like to hear from you guys.
Old January 29, 2006, 07:53 PM   #2
iudoug

I was over there in June of 2005.... It was a major clusterfu%%... After a 18 hour flight I was stuck in customs over 3 hours and missed my next flight....the *******s even wanted very personal info on my wife who was not even there.....SS # gee hope I didnt give them a bad # Once in land great time.... as usual....the govt. screws things up....Doug
Old February 5, 2006, 08:05 PM   #3
gristle head

Just do your homework!

I went in June of '04. Flew into Johannesberg and had absolutely no problems.

It does take a couple of hours or more to clear customs and get your rifle checked in through South African Police, but it was all very smooth. The same was true on departure.

Just be sure to download copies of the firearm permit applications and fill them out in advance. DO NOT SIGN THEM UNTIL YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE. Be sure and get your US Customs form #4457 completed prior to even going to the airport for your departure to Africa. It will make things go much smoother on both ends. Should you have any questions, your outfitter should be able to help you by phone or e-mail.

Great trip!!! Other than the plane ride, I can't wait to go back. Booking in '07 for Cape Buffalo.

Don't worry, if you've got a good outfitter it will be fabulous. Like nothing you've ever seen or experienced here.