The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2004, 09:21 PM   #1
partyguy816

Newbie COL Question

Well I posted this on the other forums, but no one is responding so I'll try my luck here. I am trying to load up some .243 with Nosler ballistic tips. The grains is 55 grains with a purple tip. Anyways my nosler book said that the ocl is 2.710. Ok well the one that I made is 2.645. The bullet should probably be seated a little further in, but I'm afraid I'm going to screw something up. I know that it probably don't matter, but what is the .243 ocl supposed to be at? If I was to set it at 2.578 would that work? This is my first round so I really would rather have some information before I screw something up. I know that the .30-06 and the .300 OCL is 3.340, but the factory 30.06 isn't that long. Maybe I'm just making too much out of nothing. What is the shortest I should go on the .243 .30-06 and the .300? Thanks.
Old December 3, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2
rwilson452

C.o.a.l

The best COAL for your rounds is what works best in your rifle. With todays firearms the throat is usually milled a tad long. The best way I know of to find the best length is to slightly ( very long) seat a bullet in an empty case. coat the bullet with graphite or something black. Gently chamber the round. you should see scratches on the bullet as it contacts the lands. repeat the proceedure reducing the COAL by .02 each time until the bullet no longer touches the lands. Fine tune it as close as you can. a good stating place would be .015 off the lands. usually the sweet spot is .015 to .03 off the lands. some rifles like it touching. the only way to find out for sure is to try. At some point you will find the most accurate COAL. In some rifles with a box magazine the best length is longer than will fit in the mag. At that point you make them as long as will feed from the mag. accuracy suffers. Some people make target rounds that they feed in single shot mode and other at will work in the mag. You can literally expend 100's of rounds finding the most accurate load for your rifle.
Old December 3, 2004, 10:35 PM   #3
.45 Vet

rwilson offers some very sound advice. And from the sound of it, he's been down the same road YOU, and many of us have traveled. Take your time, document what you're doing and which C.O.L. works best in your rifle.

And remember that when you change bullet weight or even manufacturers, you may have the fun of starting all over again.....Good Luck