The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2002, 04:59 PM   #1
Steve Smith

Problem with Lee profile crimp die

I'm using a Lee Profile crimp die for 10mm, and I have a recurring problem. When I screw the die in enough to crimp the mouth properly, it's hard to pull the ram back down (pull the case out of the die). It seems to get stuck, not at the top where its actually doing the crimping, but basically where the case mouth is passing the carbide ring on its way out. If I don't crimp them like this, and back off just a bit, the sticking problem doesn't happen, but the cartridge isn't reliable in my Bar-Sto barrel.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 26, 2002, 08:00 PM   #2
Redneck2

Just a wild guess...

but I'd think that you having to crimp too hard which is bulging the cases during the crimp and they're being Un-bulged (a new word???) on the way out.

I'd check case length. I'm wondering if you have to crimp too hard because the cases are too long and the extra hard crimp makes the mouth smaller and effectively shortens the case.

I use Dillon dies for my G20 and they feed fine with light crimp, but then I have the sloppy Glock barrel.

The other idea I had was maybe the inner body of the FCD was cut too big and lets the case expand too much.

Thinking back, I use FCD for my 45 acp and 44-40 and it drags pretty good sometimes. You can sure tell when it's straightening out the cases.

Dunno..random thoughts
Old May 26, 2002, 08:06 PM   #3
Steve Smith

Like I said (not meaning to sound harsh!) when I have the die turned out just a little, just enough for it not to drag or bang (really!) when it comes loose, it then isn't reliable...it leaves a little ridge of a bell from the belling process.

A possibility is that I have my belling die in too far? I know its farther than it should be, and I've been meaning to back it out a little, but would that cause this problem? Why?

Cases are brand new Starline, with length exactly .985" (max is .992") in several randomly selected cases.

Good random thoughts, Redneck.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 26, 2002, 08:21 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Overbelling a distinct possibility. Then when you crimp deep enough to get the bell all the way out, tis maby bulging the case downlower.

Just barely enough bell to enable the bullet to start reliably.

Just a thought.

Sam
Old May 27, 2002, 08:30 AM   #5
Hal

If it's a Lee Factory Crimp die it's working exactly like it should be. The sticking is the carbide ring resizing the round on it's way out of the die. My .45acp, .45LC and .44Mag Lee FCD's all do the same thing when I'm applying a proper(tight) crimp to a non cannalued(sp) bullet.

If it's a Redding Profile Crimp die, then you'll have to wait for Weshoot2's input.
Old May 27, 2002, 01:20 PM   #6
Steve Smith

Sam, I'm going to play with that and see if it fixes the problem.

I'm anxious to hear what WeShoot2's comments on the Redding dies are. Do they have this same tendency?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 27, 2002, 04:33 PM   #7
swifter...

Redding's profile crimp die combines the better characteristics of the roll and taper crimp, as far as I know.
Isn't the 10MM an auto round?
I've always used the profile crimps on revolver rounds, taper crimp on auto.
FWIW...
Tom
Old April 15, 2008, 03:58 AM   #8
noylj

Lee FCD

There are a couple of things you can try if the cases are "hard" to extract from the Lee FCD.
As stated, check case length
Apply a little case lube to the FCD (a spritz of case lube does wonders)
Apply a little case lube to the cases
If it is an auto case, you need just enough crimp to remove the belling. Excess belling should not be the problem. I almost always excess bell my brass (to ensure that there is no sharp case mouth to scrape lead) and have never had a problem.
If it is a rimmed case (revolver, usually), then you either want to just remove the belling or you want to be sure that you are seating the bullet so the cannelure is even with the case mouth.
Old April 15, 2008, 03:37 PM   #9
scsov509

Check the OP date please I'm guessing this problem has been resolved since the first question was asked.
Old April 15, 2008, 05:53 PM   #10
gandog56

For some reason I never liked my Lee crimp die, and switched to a Redding, which seemed to work much better. Hard to say that because almost all my dies are Lee, so believe me, I'm not bashing them. Only factory crimp die I ever had a problem with was the 10mm. Thankfully it seems to work OK with 40 S&W.
Old April 15, 2008, 10:13 PM   #11
amamnn

I'm guessing that the use of the word "profile" was just a mistake on the part of the original poster, since Redding, not Lee, makes a roll crimper they call the "profile" crimper for revolver cartridges and Lee calls theirs the "factory" crimper, whether rifle, pistol, or revolver rounds are to be made with it. Lee also makets a plain taper crimp die.