The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2017, 09:23 AM   #26
PlatinumCore16

As everyone else has stated, for ease-of-use I think that a smaller Glock would be your best bet. Similarity will make the transition easy.

If you are keen on trying something different, I would suggest the Taurus PT709 slim. It is sub $200 on buds right now. Taurus has a lot of naysayers, but if you research the PT709 doesn't have very many negative reviews and many many positive ones. The only thing I've found is that it doesn't like to shoot Federals, but it cycles everything else I've fed it (commercial FMJ, JHP, handloaded FMJ, cast, and JHP). It is very thin and depending on how big your hands are you can get by stock, or slap on some Pierce grip extensions. They don't add any capacity, but they add just enough for the pinky to sit comfortably with the rest of the fingers while not really adding much length to affect printing.
Old May 17, 2017, 09:50 AM   #27
Brit

I look at the many reply's to this post!

Interesting. One thought I have, why do we carry a pistol, concealed (Florida) it has to be concealed.

Answer (Mine anyhow) Just in case we get into a big bad shootout!
Not a pre-thought one, maximum rounds fired? 3! But one, off the charts, they do happen, all 16 rounds in my Glock 19, and a go to G17 mag, for a reload.

This is why I only carry one gun, the Glock 19. Have two set up the same.
One is sitting in my track pants pocket now (My Wife built the pocket up, stronger, and longer) 16 rounds, just in case.

Never been in Gun fight in the USA. But I can imagine straight off the bat, a quick 4 rounds, gone! Why? because that's how things happen.

I still would have 12 rounds of 147g Ranger T left. If the pistol was a (for instance) Glock 43, which I have, or a Glock 42, 380, which I have also.
Both for my Wife, who does not carry? Because we always are together, she says. True.

But if I had the 43, I would have 3 rounds left, not acceptable to me.

Try this, try that? Not me. Same pistol, same place always.

Last edited by Brit; May 18, 2017 at 03:37 AM.