The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2015, 12:30 PM   #1
JERRYS.

whats your take on Estate 12ga. 00 buck?

I've seen this brand sold at very good prices, and ive shot some with no issues at all in my guns. if this brand and loading is good to go, why pay double the price for the big three?
Old November 3, 2015, 03:37 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

I've used the 20-gauge shells in a coach gun for some years, and a friend uses the 12-guage loads for his semi-auto Saiga exclusively. I don't see much wrong with the brand, but like any other, see if your shotgun likes it.
Old November 3, 2015, 04:21 PM   #3
FITASC

Estate is owned by Federal. That said the ammo itself can be made in one of two places - the US or France. If the buckshot head has stars around it, it is made in France and should say so on the box. I use the basic target ammo; sometimes one or two might hangup in my semi, but overall nit is good stuff.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 3, 2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Estate used to make a "SWAT" 00 buckshot load that was one of the tightest patterning loads avail.

Some of the new Flight control stuff shoots a little tighter, but that Estate load was awesome.
Old November 3, 2015, 06:14 PM   #5
MarkCO

I have shot cases of it in a variety of settings. Works 100% in my shotguns, which are a variety of semi-auto and pump.

The patterns are not as good as $1+/round buffered buckshot, but it is good for 30 yards and in for sure (patterns).
Old November 3, 2015, 08:42 PM   #6
skizzums

not to derail, but I have started using Rio buckshot "Royal Buck" lately and I really like it. its power, tight and reliable. I love the polymer (cap??) that's on the top that gives it the rounded edges, slips into shellholders easier and appears to feed better in my buddies Mossberg (930?) semi that has a problem choking on a lot of different stuff. we used the Rio's a couple weeks ago and it was the first time we had a full session w/o a jam, was that due to the rounded edges? who knows, but I worked better for one reason or another. I paid 1.99 a box for it on clearance at LGS, grabbed about 20 boxes, should have gotten more. If it runs as cheap as estate or other "budget" bucks, give it a try.
Old November 4, 2015, 01:21 PM   #7
BigJimP

In general...Estate...is not as high a quality in terms of the shot or pellets inside the shell as the higher end shells. Like Fitasc said ...its the low end shell made by Federal.

I've seen it especially on "target" loads...if you cut them open, they won't roll evenly down a sheet of glass like a premium shell will ...they seem to have a lot of "odd" sizes and some flat spots on the shot ...so they wobble as you pour them down a glass plate..and they're dirtier ( more graphite probably inside the mix of shot ) ...vs premium shells.

If you pattern the Estate shells vs a higher end target shell...like Rem STS...you'll get a lot more "flyers" outside the pattern on the Estate loads..and more inconsistency in terms of potential holes in the patterns. I suspect the shot in the Estate hulls ..is softer...more prone to deforming.

In Target shells...Estate is ok for practice.../ but I wouldn't use them for tournaments ...and I would think the same thing would apply to "00".
Old November 4, 2015, 07:05 PM   #8
amd6547

My LGS has had the 25rd box of Estate 00 buck for $6.99 lately.
I shot up one box through a 18" Mossberg 500 riot gun and a 20" Beretta 1201FP semi auto...
Shot it at 25yds, and it seemed to pattern about the same as the standard Remington or Winchester load. It would keep all pellets on a torso target. It certainly seemed full power, as the short, 12" LOP stock on the Mossberg revealed.
I liked it enough that I did, and will, buy more.
For my purposes, I want both good, old fashioned standard buckshot, and modern FliteControl loads in my bag of tricks.
Old November 4, 2015, 09:04 PM   #9
Creek Henry

I think I'll get some #1 buck for mid range rabbiting. If you can put a Texas jack down at 50 yards then turkey stand no chance.