The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2015, 09:26 PM   #1
SC4006

Received my new 590!

So a little while ago I made a thread asking for general advice about shotguns as I bought a Mossberg 590 as my first shotgun. Well it arrived at my LGS on Tuesday, and I've been shooting it quite a bit already.

I have to say overall I am very happy with it. It was a bit stiff when I first got it as expected from a new gun, but after a full cleaning and some rounds down range it's already getting really smooth. I haven't really tested out how it patterns with different shells yet, but I've been having a lot of fun plinking with birdshot, buckshot, and even a few slugs. This was my first time shooting slugs, and I must say the recoil is quite impressive, especially the remington slugger 3" magnum slugs.

The only problem I've had with it thus far is with a box of winchester white box target load birdshot. Occasionally after firing it will require a considerable amount of force to extract the fired shell. I did a little research and found that winchester target load shells getting stuck is fairly common it seems. Has anyone else had problems with stuck shells? All other ammo I've tried in it has worked flawlessly, so it is definitely the ammo.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience so far with the 590. I am really impressed with the quality of the gun. I am also really liking the magpul furniture on it, as I opted for the magpul edition. It is very comfortable, and I like how both the cheek riser and length of pull is adjustable.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 1, 2015, 08:08 AM   #2
FITASC

If those were the Winchester Universals, do not waste any more money buying the. They are the worst crap ever made and give everyone fits.

If you're buying at wallyworld, get the Federal 4 packs; they are decent enough. When you figure out what you and your gun really like pattern wise, go online and buy ammo by the flat (10 boxes to a flat) Academy often has free shipping on orders over a certain amount so 1-2 flats will cover it; same for Cabela's.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 1, 2015, 07:16 PM   #3
SC4006

They were the Winchester "super-target, heavy target load" shells. They're pretty much just the Winchester universal shells I think. I'll check out the Federal ones, I've heard they're much better. I just want some cheap birdshot that will function reliably as plinking ammo really.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 2, 2015, 08:46 AM   #4
FITASC

I just bought a couple more flats from Academy of Estate white box (IIRC, dove loads). Work my gas guns great. These are made by Cheddite in France and imported by Estate (Federal)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa