The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 10, 2015, 09:51 PM   #26
B.L.E.

Quote:
PS. Anybody know what the drop is going to be at 100 yds with a 48 grain 32
round ball starting out at 1000 fps?
My .22 rifle, zeroed for fifty yards, needs about 8 moa up on the scope to be zero at 100 yards when shooting standard velocity target ammo 1080 fps. This is real world, not theoretical.

I plugged the BC for a .319 rb (.045) into my bookmarked online ballistic calculator and entered a muzzle velocity of 1000 fps and it indicated 10 inches of drop if zeroed at fifty yards. Also, 3.7 inches of drift in a five mph cross wind.
Residual velocity at 100 yards will be around 780 fps.
There's a much higher velocity retention with distance once you are subsonic which is why roundballs shot from pistols have a surprisingly low wind drift compared to rifles.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:03 AM   #27
mehavey

0.319 ball / 1,000fps muzzle / with a sight 3/4" above centerline / center hold:

25yd zero = 18" low at 100
50yd zero = 14" low at 100
75yd zero = 08" low at 100
Old May 11, 2015, 06:13 AM   #28
Magnum Wheel Man

PAHOO... that looks to be the sight that I currently have on the rear ( well... that I've pulled off now )... the detent ball has been lost so I line it up & tighten good... I don't like that the aperture tightness holds the windage adjustment... so adjusting is not precise... also if I wanted to change sizes, I lose my adjustment...

I only have a blade front sight... the set up worked good enough for me to get 2nd place... I may have to get the detent ball fixed, & save the sight... but thinking more along the lines of the Lyman rear sight & something similar to the same front as you are using, in the correct height for the shorter Lyman sight...
Old May 11, 2015, 10:17 AM   #29
Pahoo

Match the front globe, to the rear sight ...

Magnum,
This original set-up was offered by TC, a few years back. I know for a fact, that the front globe is made by Lyman and it's still available, along with the inserts. You can also buy the set of inserts. I doubt that TC ever made and original sight and just contracted them in. Given that, I do not know who actually made the vernier short range tang sight. Depending on the rear sight, you need to size the front globe accordingly. Lyman can assist you on this selection as they have a chart. .....

Quote:
the detent ball has been lost so I line it up & tighten good...
Until you mentioned the detent ball, did not know that one existed and like you, just line it up and tighten the knob. I will now have to correct this and I thank you for that ......

Thanks again and;
Be Safe !!!