The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Moby

Getting comfortable with the Glock 30

We all choose CCW firearms based on a wide variety of experiences and beliefs. Caliber size, concealability, body size, wardrobe style and stopping power are a few. There are no doubt more.

My full sized firearm of choice is the Glock 21 I purchased 20 years ago. I am a former USCG Boarding officer and became very comfortable with the Colt 1911. As dependable a weapon as there ever has been with over 100 years of military service.

So reliability was an important factor for me. Of course Glocks excel in that area. Stopping power was second on the list. A dependable firearm without the knock down power of a high speed flying brick seems unwise. After all, shooting someone twice is just silly.

With the advantage of 14 rounds I'd found it all in the Glock 21 EXCEPT concealability. Yes, in the winter it's fairly easy with heavier clothing but riding in my truck it's just not as uncomfortable as I liked.

I wanted a smaller CCW but did not want to give up all the positive attributes of the G21.

In steps the Glock 30. An inch shorter in length and height. The same caliber and only a loss of three rounds (it carries 11 fully loaded). It wears well, and conceals very well. I'm comfortable when sitting in a vehicle, and I lose very little of the things I love about the G21. With little difference at the range. I cannot express my satisfaction with the positive aspects this CCW brings to the table enough.

Need a .45 that brings it all??? Check out the Glock 30 SF. It even takes the longer mag of the Glock 21 so I can leave an extra G21 mag in the consol of the truck. Some call the .45 pistol a pumpkin chucker.
Ever been hit with a high speed lead pumpkin???

Last edited by Moby; November 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:22 PM   #2
geetarman

^^^^^^^^Yes!!

That is one of the reasons I have both. Check out a G19. Another good choice if you do not want to always carry a .45.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 13, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Need a .45 that brings it all??? Check out the Glock 30 SF.

The G30 (no SF back then) was my first gun purchase for the very reason you listed above. I've drifted from the 45 over the years but still go back to it now and again for nostalgia
Old November 14, 2012, 07:04 AM   #4
geetarman

Quote:
I've drifted from the 45 over the years
What have you drifted to? I really like .45 but I shoot more 9mm.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 14, 2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

9 and 40 S&W. I'm not trying to start a caliber war but when cost and effectiveness is weighed I tend to go more for one of the calibers above these days but I still like the 45---especially for new shooters that are convinced they need something more than 9mm (45 is much easier to shoot well than 40 for new shooters IMO)
Old November 14, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
vito

I was ready to buy a Glock 30 but then saw a Ruger sr40c in the gun case. Its a bit smaller than the 30, very comfortable to hold, has 9+1 capacity (which I am comfortable with) and was about $200 less than the Glock. It is my first 40S&W gun, but I really don't think I have given up much to a 45acp with this caliber. So far I am pretty happy with this purchase.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:23 AM   #7
wizrd

A few years ago, a friend bought a new Glock 30 & brought it to the range. He asks me if I want to shoot it? Sure, (never been shot, brand new). I rest it on the bench, at 50' -- ten shot later there is one raggedy hole in the X-ring of a
50' pistol target. -- I bought one the next day.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Hairbag

Consider the GAP very very accurate
Old November 15, 2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Hammerhead

The 30 and 29 are Glock's best pistols IMO.
Nice trigger, excellent recoil distribution, amazing accuracy at 25 yards for a compact.
The only reason I sold mine was that I could not get it to feed plated or jacketed SWC's. I believe in the SWC as an all purpose bullet for the .45 calibers and have thousands on hand. To me the bullet takes priority over the gun.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:41 AM   #10
riggins_83

I've been carrying a 30SF for about a year now, love it. Generally I've changed carry guns once a year, have yet to find something I like better than the 30 for concealment. Using a Comptac Infidel IWB holster it hides away easily!
Old November 16, 2012, 12:52 AM   #11
scsov509

Quote:
A few years ago, a friend bought a new Glock 30 & brought it to the range. He asks me if I want to shoot it? Sure, (never been shot, brand new). I rest it on the bench, at 50' -- ten shot later there is one raggedy hole in the X-ring of a 50' pistol target. -- I bought one the next day.
The Glock 30 is widely reported to be one of the most accurate Glocks on the market. Not sure what it is specifically about that pistol, but it seems that it flat out shoots!

Tags
.45 , ccw , glock