The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1
RsqVet

11-87 op handle problems

OK so we were shooting a brand new 11-87 police and after the first 5 or 6 rounds look down and the op handle has exited the weapon.

I am rather surprised by this as it seemed firmly in place prior to shooting, I know from other 1100 / 11-87 guns I have worked on that getting it out is more often than not a pain in the rear. Gun has not been taken down to the point of bolt removal since new, gave the operating system a light oiling and that's all.

Looking around I managed to find it on the op handle on the ground though we called it a day shooting the 11-87 until I could look at it closer on a workbench.

Looking at the bolt of the gun the ball detent that holds, or should hold the op handle is located on the butt end of the channel in the bolt of the gun. Looking at the op handle the detents that are milled into it to engage with a ball detent are all on muzzle facing side of the op handle. So basically it was never really locked into the gun, just a tight fit and seemed locked in but recoil proved that wrong.

So is there a gun they make that this would be the right op handle for or did they just make the whole thing wrong? Not very happy to have had this happen on a high dollar gun. What do you guys think? Send the whole gun back? Or just put an aftermarket op handle on it which I had planned to do anyway and call it a day?
Old September 30, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
RsqVet

Thanks to a forum member I got a great picture of what the op handle should look like, mine is missing any area whatsoever for the detent to engage in. What I was reading as possibly being for the detent on the front appears to jsut be casting / MIM marks.

I will see what the shop that I got it from can do for me though I will be ordering an aftermarket round op handle anyway.
Old October 1, 2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Virginian

Call Remington and they will probably send you one. If you got a "built" gun they may have used an older 1100 handle by mistake. 1100s had the dimple on the bottom, and it got switched to the back. New handles have a dimple both places to work with either retention system.
Old October 1, 2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

I like the Nordic Components operating handle. More robust and easy to operate left or right handed.

Old October 2, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
RsqVet

Thanks guys, rem has one on it's way to me that will likely go in the spares pile and I ordered one that is slightly larger from an aftermarket vender.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
checkmyswag

Supposedly the police models receive extra quality control checks. Surprised it left the factory like that.
Old October 3, 2012, 12:05 PM   #7
RsqVet

Check --- I know, I know! Shop I got it from was surprised as well.

I had a friend who is an LE armorer go over it and no other surprises, I had checked it as well but a set of well trained eyes is always best.

Looks like it is a 1100 op handle for a smaller gauge gun. it can be fit in there tight, just no so tight that it stays put under recoil. As annoyed as I am and as manny other grumpy stories I have read about Rem under the management of the freedom group it's hard for me to get excited about this as the parts are all very similar, I am sure that they have bins and bins of them there and will tend to fit "almost" in the 11-87, would be easy for an assembler to miss and hard to pickup on inspection unless one really pulls on the op handle.

As easy as I am to get worked up I have kind of shrugged this one off, will see how it performs in a week or so. I had one before I really liked, sorry to have let that one go. Some part of me is glad I have most of the other rem guns I could ever want pre-freedom takeover though.