The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 18, 2012, 01:56 AM   #1
DanThaMan1776

RRA Coyote Rifle

Gents, the spring will bring new life to nature... and a new AR-15 to this guy

I'd like to consult TFL on their opinion of Rock River's Coyote Rifle.

I'm particularity interested in the 20 inch model. I'll be strapping on a bipod (kind unknown, any suggestions?), sling, Troy sights, and an acog optic of some sort (also in need of suggestions). The purpose of the rifle will be varminting, target, and when appleseed rolls around I'll pop the acog off and train with the irons a tad. I'm slightly concerned about the weight of the rifle with all this and it's starting 8.4 lbs), but I figure since I'm a ripe 19 years of age and am an avid trainer in the art of weight lifting it won't be too much to handle... correct me if I'm being young&vain.

So does anyone own this rifle and have any feedback to give?? Any second-hand experience with it?? I would appreciate anything you fellas could tell me about the platform.

All I ask is that you don't try to dissuade me from RRA... you would be wasting your time because I am a disciple to the Colona Engineers and have the highest regards for their products.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 18, 2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Abel

I think its gonna be too heavy. Lose the irons and the bipod. Get a small 2-7x32mm sized scope instead of an ACOG. I would even fore go the rifle and get the Coyote Carbine. Buy a $100 Marlin 795 22LR for apple seed.
Old January 18, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3
btmj

+ 1 on prior comment. Either the coyote carbine or ATH carbin would be a good choice for your stated objective. In a heavy or bull barell, 20 inches is a lot of weight out front. I have a 16 inch heavy barell, and it balances about right. I would not want another 4 inches of steel hanging out front. The difference between 20 inch and 16 inch is about 100 fps, which is equivalent to 35 yards. If using a scope or red dot sight, there is no accuracy advantage to a 20 inch barell.

For varminting and paper punching, the ACOG is not the right sight. The ACOG is a $1000 battle sight, not a target/varmint sight. If you want to spend $1000 you can buy an excellent variable power scope. Even $400 buys a real nice one.
Old January 18, 2012, 01:24 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Agreed. An acog doesn't make any sense if you want to coyote hunt/punch paper.

You will need a quality scope.

Tags
coyote , feedback , river , rock , varmint