The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 17, 2011, 12:37 AM   #1
DRJV

getting my first shotgun... any recommendations?

Good evening all, as this is my first post.. please excuse a newbie if he makes a mistake....

With that out of the way, I am investing in a Mossberg 590 A1 as my first shotgun... i have a vision problem so was wondering if an optic would be in order....or just be superfluous (tacticool). That aside, the purpose of this purchase is for primarily home defense as well as recreational (target shooting) i am also wondering about ammo...

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and carefully considered,

_DRJV
Old November 17, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
south.texas.dead.I

When you say recreational target do you mean clay shooting or papers? This will change the style of gun greatly?

Tapatalk ya
Old November 17, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
oneounceload

Clay games need no more than two rounds loaded at any time, they are also easier to do without any form of sighting systems or Ghost rings. Do not get the Ma style pistol grip as it hinders shooting at clays games

Almost sounds like you need another gun! Not like that is a bad thing....
Old November 17, 2011, 04:33 PM   #4
DRJV

Actually the primary target would be paper... and when i say recreational i don't mean any thing as well organized as competitive shooting..... mostly shooting plastic bottles and the like. That is not to say that i wouldn't like to learn to shoot clays competitively. Im mostly looking for sight recommendations and other accessories that i may not be considering (i.e. Bayonet, mag tube extension, etc.)

also, another gun is NEVER a bad thing lol

Like i said this is mostly for home defense and any othe "just in case scenario"

thank you for replying

_DRJV

Last edited by DRJV; November 17, 2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: needed to clarify
Old November 17, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5
oneshotOG

Ok, first of all, you must've done some kind of research to consider such a good gun as your first choice. You can Not go wrong with the mentioned gun, but I do not own this exact model. If I may recommend a mossberg, I'd have to go with the 500a. I own it, and it's a great gun. Although if I were to recommend a 12 gauge in general, it's gotta be the remington 870. This is an incredibly popular gun and you can find it fairly cheap. I also own it and it has never let me down. Go with the 870 pump. Seriously.
Old November 17, 2011, 05:43 PM   #6
rickyrick

a 1x red dot will work good for you
Old November 17, 2011, 07:04 PM   #7
DRJV

Thank you oneshotOG and rickyrick for your suggestions. Ricky do you have any specific brand/model in mind? OG what are the soecific selling points of the Rem 870 that make it better than the Mossberg 590a1?

_DRJV
Old November 18, 2011, 10:02 AM   #8
rickyrick

I don't remember the brand but I use a 30mm 1x red dot scope, it was 35 to 40$ range.

As far as ammo, you got choice from birdshot, flares, flashbangs, slugs, rubber projectiles, bean bags, buckshot, liquid filled bags, sabot, super expanding, door breaching, combos of slugs and buckshot, buckshot and birdshot combos, and many many more.

Shotguns are very versatile, and can be loads of fun. The 590 is a fine shotgun as are 500's.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:05 AM   #9
rickyrick

Oh yeah I got the top rail from cheaperthandirt.com for like 9 bucks
Old November 19, 2011, 12:11 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

12ga room brooms, sources...

I'm not much into "long guns" at this time but for a new or entry level shotgun owner I'd suggest a NIB(new in box) Remington 870 or the slick 887 Tactical.
Other models include Browning's BPS & the Mossberg 590/500.

I'd look into a Knoxx spec ops stock, www.Blackhawk.com & maybe some custom work from Vang-Comp or WilsonCombat.com.
A custom plate job like Bearcoat.com or Robar's NP3+ will ease clean up & protect the weapon.

It's not cheap but it add value to the shotgun and assist you greatly.
CF
www.Browning.com www.gunsamerica.com www.jgsales.com
Old November 19, 2011, 07:35 AM   #11
drew332

+1 for Mossberg 500/590-series models.

I'm a big fan of the Mossberg 590A1 for tactical use and/or HD. I'm a LEO, with 15 years in LE and 9+ years experience in Army SF and MI. My PD carries 14" Mossberg 590A1's for duty use in our cruisers. We used to carry the Remington 870's for duty, but for some reason we switched to the Mossbergs more than 10 years ago. I'm not sure why we did so.

I prefer the Mossberg 590A1 to the Remington 870, but that's just my own personal preference. The Mossberg 590A1 seems more sturdy and solid and its controls feel more intuitive to me.

However, if you are dead set on using a pistol grip on your shotgun, then the Remington 870, which is also an excellent shotgun, may be a better choice due to its safety location near the trigger. The Mossberg's tang safety is an awkward reach with a pistol grip. I prefer a rifle stock on my shotgun and the tang safety seems more intuitive. It gives you the ability to quickly view the weapon's condition while the shotgun is at the ready and on target without even impeding your cheek weld.

Also, it is my very strong opinion that a light source is MANDATORY for any HD weapon so as to be able to positively identify your potential target! Lest it be a family member, such as a teen son/daughter sneaking back into the house...that could be extremely tragic.

My personal favorite is my 14 inch barreled 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1 shotgun with ghost ring sights, a Hogue Youth stock, a Surefire 621FGA Forend Weaponlight, Blackhawk front sling adapter, Specter Gear 3-point tactical sling, and 3GunGear.com 7-Shell Side Saddle, which has a nylon side saddle with elasticized shell holders backed with velcro that affixes to a base on the shotgun receiver. This side saddle carrier allows single-hand removal and attachment so that additional side saddle carriers can be carried on tactical vests or plate carriers and your ammo source can be easily and quickly replenished. This shotgun has an overall length (OAL) of 35 inches, which is a nice compact size for manuevering inside a house or building. This is my primary HD long gun.

As far as optics, I've never used anything other than a bead sight or ghost rings on my work or personal shotguns. The 590A1 comes with very good factory ghost ring sights. I would try using the ghost rings for a while before getting some additional optic, such as a red dot or low power scope. The ghost ring sight with a tritium or fiber optic front blade may be sufficient, since the shotgun is primarily a close quarters weapon.

As far as ammo, one of the best things about a shotgun is its versatility, to include an abundance of ammo selection for different situations. For the most part, a pump shotgun will be able to use a greater variety of ammo and have less feed problems than a semi-auto shotgun. What you lose with a pump is speed on follow-up shots, but with training one can minimize this.

I know from personal use that my Mossberg 590A1 eats everything I've ever fed her! She's my work horse and one nasty beast!

Last edited by drew332; November 19, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old November 19, 2011, 09:42 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

SFAS-12, Penn Arms model...

I also like the old school SFAS 12 & the Penn Arms 12ga shotgun.
www.pennarms.com

Nice!
www.imfdb.org
Old November 29, 2011, 11:58 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Since this is your only shotgun, you may wish to consider what additional barrels it will take. The Mossbergs are designed so that choice of barrels is limited by magazine capacity. One post I saw says that Mossberg isn't making barrels to swap with the 20" 590A1. That is not a problem with an 870.
Old November 30, 2011, 12:15 AM   #14
youngunz4life

not trying to be funny...shotguns always kick butt

Quote:
getting my first shotgun... any recommendations?
it would be hard to go wrong. enjoy the purchase+good decision. I love shotguns. you really can't go wrong but my rec is pump or double barrel

Tags
590a1 , home defense , mossberg , shotgun , sights