The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Firepower!

Why should I buy Sig P250?

I have been looking at Sig P250. I like the way the ergos feel in hand, but could not understand Sig's approach behind the DAO part of the gun. I mean what was the tactical point of view kept in mind while making this pistol?
Old October 12, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2
rsxr22

The ergo's arent bad, but there are MANY different options that you have that are better imo.

I think there mind set was to try and deliver a more ergonomic, compact polymer compared to the Sig pro. It is also possible to change calibers and frame sizes, but it is extremely expensive to do.

Many Sig guru's over at Sigforum find this design to be a complete failure. They are reliable and accurate, but so are many many other guns.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Firepower!

Agreed, but what I dont understand is the logic behind making this pistol DAO. What are the possible scenarios where it would be appreciated?
Old October 13, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
MTS840

Quote:
According to what I've heard, you shouldn't. There are better Sigs out there. I'd love to get a P226 someday.
Old October 13, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
rsxr22

The DAK trigger is a nice design, it gives you a consistent trigger pull through the whole mag. Some people like it and some dont. I like Sig steel and alloy framed DAK's because there can be a lot of deburring and trigger work done to make them much smoother, but not so on the 250.

As far as possible scenario's goes.....im not sure what you mean.

Look at the DAK this way, it is similar to glock and springers striker-fired guns except you still have re-strike capability. The trigger system is not why i dont like the 250, it is more of the horrible, heavy, gritty trigger pull and in that category of pistol, you can group HK's LEM trigger, which imo is much more superior. But a 226,229,220 DAK with trigger work is FAR FAR superior to the LEM system
Old October 13, 2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Firepower!

with possible scenarios I meant the possible uses where DAO is desirable to DA/sA like the 226 etc.

I used to own a 226 and regret selling it. I want to have atleast one sig in my collection.
Old October 13, 2009, 03:20 PM   #7
comn-cents

I love my 250c. It took a couple of mags to get use to the trigger compared to my other Sig's but I like it. It's smooth, I haven't had one FTF or any other kind of failure. It holds 16+1 in 9mm and it conceals pretty well. I have a few options when it comes to a CCW and I pick the 250 as my everyday gun. It's accurate and recoil is nothing, follow up shots are fast and true. It's hard to beat IMO. If I find another at a good price I'll probably buy it also. Can't wait to see the subcompact. When they come out that will probably be my new CCW. It's just like another gun. Practice with it and will do it's job.
Old October 13, 2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Firepower!

Comn.cents,
How do you compare it to other Sigs- better or worse? I know it is different.

Is it worth getting used? Last I heard was that when buying a pistol, dont sell it on to yourself. Similarly, if its an akward contraption, why get used to "it" when you have so many other options, even with Sig?

I want to what specific ideas Sig had in mind when they introduced 250?
Old October 13, 2009, 03:49 PM   #9
comn-cents

I know that it was introduced in Europe a few years ago and was very successful. So they thought they would try it over here. The big thing is the grip change. If a PD wanted to outfit everyone with one gun they could just change housings to fit the officer whether 6'6" or 4"9".

It wasn't to hard to get use to the trigger at all. It's like going from a Pistol in SA/DA to a DA revolver. The trigger pull is lighter than any of my traditional DA/SA Sigs in DA mode for the first shot. Like I said I would buy another or Two if I have the chance. As far as better or worse I say the same. Reliability has been 100% accuracy is top notch. Plus they come standard with night sights.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
It is also possible to change calibers and frame sizes, but it is extremely expensive to do.
Half wrong. 60 bucks gets you a new frame size. Caliber conversion is a little costly, but not any more expensive than other Sigs.

Quote:
The DAK trigger is a nice design,
The Sig P250 does not use the DAK trigger system. It's DAO, but not the DAK. The DAK is a heavier pull, and has an intermediate reset. The 250 has a longer reset, (the length of the trigger pull) and is the guns only flaw IMO.

Quote:
I want to what specific ideas Sig had in mind when they introduced 250?
I believe they made it that way so there is no saftey or decocker to "get in the way". It's a point and shoot, and it's a great shooter.
Old October 13, 2009, 07:58 PM   #11
AK103K

I have a number of the P series SIG's, as well as a P250. I like them all, and all have been accurate and reliable.

The 250's trigger is more like a much smoother, lighter version of the standard DA trigger you find on most SIG's. It is a somewhat long "stroke", but its very easy to shoot well with, and its a VERY nice trigger. I'm not one of the people who seem to be hung up on the reset thing, so its not a bother to me, nor is it with any of the other pistols I own, so its just not SIG.

The P250's grip, or at least the P250C in 9mm's grip, is the most comfortable in the hand of the P series SIG's I own. In its "compact" form, its about the same size as a P229, just a bit lighter and less bulky. They are close enough in size and shape, that the holsters for my P229's work well with the P250, and are a near perfect fit.

The only thing I've noticed with the P250 that is somewhat negative, but is a shooter generated issue, and one that is common with all SIG's, is the issue of using a thumbs forward grip and the thumb hitting the slide stop. With most P series guns, it causes the slide to go forward on an empty mag, with my P250, it will do that, as well as cause it to lock the slide back while the mag still has rounds in it. I dont know if the P250's stop is more sensitive, or if its something else. Its not a big deal really, you just have to learn to shift your thumb slightly, or if you use a different grip, its not an issue at all.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:56 PM   #12
Samuel2001

Sig P250? Those things look odd! Thick looking slide with smallish grip frame.
No thanks!

If anyone has one to spare for some T&E, I'd be happy to try one tho.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old October 15, 2009, 08:14 PM   #13
sigelitest

The trigger on the 250 is one of the lightest smoothest DAO triggers I have fired and I have shot a lot of different pistols over the years including revolvers. Some people feel safer not having a compressed spring on a live round while carrying, even with the safeties. I also like having the option of a second strike on a primer with this gun.
It is a good carry gun and the one I have is very accurate.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:46 PM   #14
daferg2

Quote:
Because it's awesome. Nuff Said.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:42 AM   #15
M_E_

You shouldn't.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Badness

i got to dry fire one yesterday. The trigger on it is a hell of a lot better than I thought. It's really smooth and light. Compared to my p229 elite stainless which i just picked up yesterday as well, it is way lighter. The trigger pull is long and so is the reset however i was able to maintain sight picture quite nicely. I think i may have to pick one of those up in the near future.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:15 PM   #17
EnoughGUN

250 compact is actually on my list of maybe guns for CC. My rational is it seems to be a well made simple, inexpensive, clean looking handgun. It is simple in function and action which means easy to use without a lot of thinking about it. No, is the safty on or off? Is it decocked or no? etc etc.

Tags
p250 , sig , sig p250