The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old July 1, 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
ninjatoth

Why no Airgun section?

I have videos posted on the web of me shooting high powered airguns like the rws diana and benjamin sheridan superstreak,and people love them and ask so many questions.I have seen so many models of air rifles from .177-.50 caliber on the web.I think a section on airguns would explode with activity,especially from young shooters who are limited to airguns by law....just a suggestion
Old July 1, 2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

I suspect that having a forum "explode with activity.... from young shooters" may not be a priority for the owner of The Firing Line.

People here do post about airguns in the appropriate forums (rifle, handgun, competition, hunting -- depending on the specific topic) -- there are quite a few of us who shoot 'em.

And if you're looking for airgun forums, there are quite a few out there:

AirGunForum
http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index.php

Graybeard Outdoors - Air Guns
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/php...forum.php?f=77

And RimfireCentral has forums for both air rifles and pistols, as well... just keep scrolling down, you'll get to them eventually...
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Old July 2, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, a virtual community dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership.

Airgun topics pop up from time to time and are welcome at TFL, but there are no plans to add subforums for non-firearm topics.
Old July 2, 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
darkgael

Thanx

Vanya: Thanks for those links.

Pete
Old July 2, 2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Evan Thomas

You're welcome, Pete.

The government of the city where I live does consider airguns to be firearms... alas.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:45 PM   #6
ninjatoth

where I am from,all pellet guns are firearms,and you cannot even purchase a pellet pistol without a CCW or pistol permit,plus,some of those bigger air rifles shoot in excess of 200 foot lbs energy,and people hunt large game with them.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:26 PM   #7
cracked91

People hunt large game with an airgun? How large exactly?
Old July 2, 2009, 03:10 PM   #8
ninjatoth

I have seen pictures of people next to maybe 300lb animals with their airguns.I know that some of those airguns fire .45-.50 caliber 200+ grain pellets at around 600fps.Similar power to a low end .45acp round
Old July 2, 2009, 04:01 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

... And outside of some legislative nonsense, they still aren't firearms.
Old July 2, 2009, 04:06 PM   #10
ninjatoth

and why would you say they aren't firearms?They shoot lead projectiles really fast.
Old July 2, 2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Creature

Agreed.

It seems to me that the mission statement of TFL is missing a whole subset of shooters. The logo statement should, in my humble opinion, read: "The leading online forum for the shooting enthusiast.". By its very nature, a "firing line" per say is not the sole purview of "firearms". Airguns emulate firearms very closely in looks and employment. Further, an airgun section could attract more members....unless of course that is a bad thing. Airguns are, for many, the way they were initiated into responsible firearm ownership, handling and marksmanship.

I, for one, would not be adverse to seeing the inclusion of an airgun section into the forum...
Old July 2, 2009, 05:29 PM   #12
ninjatoth

Quote:
Airguns are, for many, the way they were initiated into responsible firearm ownership, handling and marksmanship.
that is the only reason I am into shooting now.I learned to love the sport with my brother's 760 pumpmaster when I was 11 or so.I went on to a .22LR after that,but with the new surge of popularity of the new 1,000fps+ airguns,I got back into the sport of pellet gunning a few years back.And with those kind of velocities,and the variety of calibers and makes and models of high powered"adult" pellet guns,I think there would be alot of discussion on muzzle energy,range,hunting and alot more.Things you wouldn't have discussed years ago when all airguns were .177 and 500fps and lower,they were toys back then,but now alot of them I would easily consider firearms
Old July 2, 2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Microgunner

Quote:
180 lb hogs are pretty big game.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/55316/1079652
Old July 2, 2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Evan Thomas

If "firearm" means "powder-burner" to the owner and mods, here, that's sorta the end of the story... although I'd be all for it, m'self.

But a few years ago, in this thread, on the very same subject, Rich Lucibella wrote:
Quote:
AirGun:
Likewise; it's been brought up. Given the limited traffic in Competition and some of the other specialized Forums, we'll pass.

Some topics are best served by specialized, stand-alone sites. As always, we'll help in any way we can to assist in setting such sites up.
So firearm/not firearm hasn't always been the issue.

Just to stir the pot a little...
Old July 2, 2009, 06:12 PM   #15
ninjatoth

I guess I just thought it would be a good idea because after putting a few videos on youtube of me shooting high powered airguns,I was flooded with all kinds of questions non stop,especially with questions like "what pellet to use" type questions,and will this gun kill a ______? Alot of people have traded using a .22 for small game for a high powered airgun
Old July 2, 2009, 07:41 PM   #16
cracked91

Wow! Thats crazy i used to have one of the Crosman 1 pump 1000 fps guns that I would put down raccoons with but I did not even know they had airguns in calibers over .22 when I was younger they were my life until I got old enough to own real firearms but I would always take a 200 lb crossbow with me when in the woods because I figured they could not kill anything above 30 lbs
Old July 2, 2009, 08:00 PM   #17
ninjatoth

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/big-bore...sam-yang.shtml

this is the most powerful one I could find. .45 cal 730fps,170 grain pellet= 201 ft lbs energy,that's equivelent to the power of a .38 special snub nose revolver
Old July 2, 2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Casimer

adding to Vanya's list, there's also ..

http://www.straightshooters.com/chat/ , which is a good one for air rifle hunters and others who are into high powered air guns.

and for match air guns there's http://www.targettalk.org/

and probably the largest, by membership, is the airgunbbs which is based in England - http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/

IMO you'll be better served posting to a dedicated airgun forum. The reason being that it's rare to find people who are experts on airguns. So it's worthwhile to use forums where they congregate.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:48 PM   #19
ZeSpectre

Quote:
As I understand it, Sam Yang, Quackenbush and other big bore airguns are pretty serious stuff.
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/
Old July 3, 2009, 06:45 AM   #20
stargazer65

This must be the new airgun forum.

I was thinking about getting a Beeman at Walmart that comes with two barrels.(.177 and .22) It seems to be a decent model and I can get it there for under $150. I was thinking about springing for an RWS over the internet, but that's going to set me back well over $200. Any thoughts?
Old July 3, 2009, 09:51 AM   #21
Mal H
Staff

IMO, Vanya explained it well in two different posts:

"If "firearm" means "powder-burner" to the owner and mods, here, that's sorta the end of the story..."
It does.

"I suspect that having a forum "explode with activity.... from young shooters" [of non-firearms] may not be a priority for the owner of The Firing Line."

As both John and Al implied, the "fire" in firearms is actually burning powder, not compressed air or CO2. We welcome air gun discussions in the various forums, but we don't need nor want a specific forum for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer65
This must be the new airgun forum.
No, actually it isn't.
Closed Thread

Tags
airguns bb pellet