The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2009, 02:38 PM   #1
gotguns?

brass triming question

I am to start reloading .308 for my single shot rifle. My question is why should I trim cases if I dont plan to crimp(and I dont)? What harm can come of not trimming cases besides uneven crimps?
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old February 17, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
snuffy

This ? sounds like someone has NOT read a reloading manual. That means you're NOT ready to begin loading. Sorry, just the way I feel.

It doe not matter that you're loading for a single shot rifle. You STILL need to keep the cases trimmed. The end of the case, the mouth, butts up against the end of the chamber in any rifle. If the mouth of the case butts/hits the end of the chamber, it can be forced into the bullet. This holds the bullet from moving when the powder burns, raising pressure dramatically. The bullet MUST be able to move freely as the powder burns.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 17, 2009, 03:28 PM   #3
firewrench044

The chamber in your rifle is made to acept a cartage with specified
dimentions, what you are doing is returning the case to those dimentions
( resize and triming )

If you use a case that is too long, the case is forced past the area of the chamber cut for the case and into the smaller area made for the bullet and
the cartage can not be fully inserted into the chamberand and can become jamed when you try to close the bolt

The neck of the case needs to be long enough to expand and make a seal
between the case and chamber, if it does not it pushes the case back into the bolt harder than the bolt was designed for

After sizeing you need to check the length to make sure that the cases
length is between the max. and min.case specs.

Also cases with the same length will give you a more consistant and titer patern on your target
Old February 17, 2009, 04:10 PM   #4
lev83

I concur with the others not trimming your rifle brass will not only result in decrased accuracy but more importantly it will lead to you harming your gun or yourself secondary to increased chamber pressures.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Slamfire

You will find out how important it is to trim brass once your rifle starts blowing primers.

I learned that it was important to check/trim cases each reload after my 30-06 started blowing primers. I had made the faulty assumption that once fired brass could not grow overlength, after all it was new, right?

I was wrong. Brass grows the most on the first reloads. My case necks had grown out enough to pinch the bullet in the throat.

Result, blown primers.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Inspector3711

What they said... I added a Lee collet die to all of my Redding sets. This cuts way back on how often you need to trim, doesn't cost much to add, and ensures that the bullet and case neck are centered which can improve consistency and accuracy. I typically go 7-8 reloads on a cartridge now before FL sizing and trimming once.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:52 PM   #7
keys85

FWIW, my fellow reloader hates trimming brass to the point that when the cases reach their max length, he'll throw them away.

I, unfortunately, don't have the luxury of affording new brass so often and opt to trim them when it's needed. In fact, I just recently went through ALL my brass in every caliber and trimmed to length, including 500 rounds of 9x19 to 9x18 conversion. Fun stuff. ~rolls eyes~
Old February 17, 2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Inspector3711

Odd... I've only had to trim rifle cases. My pistol cases either don't grow or actually shrink.
Old February 18, 2009, 12:30 AM   #9
keys85

Correct. I was converting brass.
Old February 18, 2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Inspector3711

Ahh.. sorry about that...
Old February 19, 2009, 04:42 PM   #11
James R. Burke

They are all right. I always trim my brass even if it is not at max. I am just one of those guys that like to keep it the same 100% all the time. Takes a little more work if it's not at max yet, but it can't hurt.