The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2002, 11:58 AM   #1
sjones

shot and powder baffles?

I am new to shotshell reloading,so I will probabaly be asking all kind of questions.What is the purpose of the baffles and do I really need them? Right now all I am using is the plain adjustable bar. thanks. sj
Old November 28, 2002, 02:41 PM   #2
Fatelvis

Baffles are supposed to keep charge weights more uniform, by regulating the weight of powder/shot in the hopper, (above the measuring cylinder). Otherwise, (in theory), the more powder/shot you have in the hopper, the heavier your charge weights will be. Honestly, Ive used a measure with, and without a baffle, and I dont see much of a difference.
Old November 28, 2002, 09:06 PM   #3
HSMITH

I use baffles in the powder stream. I did not notice a difference at all until I got below about 1/3rd of the capacity of the bottle, but then charge weights started dropping quite a bit. I was seeing a difference of nearly 2 grains from start to finish, with the baffle it never varies by more than .2 grains. If you load like me and crank off a thousand or so in a sitting the baffle is almost necessary to keep you from constantly filling the powder bottle.

My MEC loaders will drop shot up to #6s with no problem, bigger than #6 shot and the baffle is necessary to keep the shot from bridging under the pressure of a full bottle. I have loaded #5s without the baffle but I needed to keep the shot below 1/4 of the bottle. For target shot sizes the shot baffle is not necessary or really even helpful.
Old November 29, 2002, 01:40 AM   #4
lockandrock
Registration in progress

same here with or without baffles.

No big difference and it is powder dependent. I just try to keep my bottle 1/2 full or more at all times. I actually even bought the taller bottle when I get ready to make a run of 500+ shells with my favorite powder. Here I just fill her up and go and don't look back or have to refill the tube that quite often.