The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2020, 08:42 AM   #1
simonrichter

Bugout belt

A while ago, I shifted some of my gear from my backpack to my belt when hiking. I was just tired of always rummaging around in my rucksack for stuff I would need a few times (and sometimes on short notice) during a day out in the wilderness. Though it might look a bit "military", it's very practical to always have your phone / camera, binoculars, flashlight etc. always ready.

Nowadays, with all the crazy stuff that happened in the wake of CoV (we had a complete lockdown here and the first partial mobilization since WWII), I'm considering to arrange the stuff I'd like to have close at hand in case I decide to leave the city for my more remote garden in a likewise fashion.
Does any of you have kind of a "bugout belt"? If yes, do you attach your gun (and maybe mags) only or do you mix add other survival stuff as well? (I'm not going to use it as a "tactical" pistol belt anyway, I just have a simple full flap holster for my G19)
Old August 12, 2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Warhammer

One of my requirements for any bugout gear is that it looks as innocuous as possible. I don't want to look like a cop or a soldier; just a guy going somewhere who's not worth paying any mind. A bright red hiking backpack attracts less attention than a camo backpack with MOLLE gear strapped all over it. There are several makers who produce backpacks for concealing guns that look like ordinary bags rather than range bags or deployment bags. Mine has no exterior labels (think 5.11 or S&W) and looks like something a college student might pack with books. Yet it can securely carry my AK with the stock folded, along with several mags and other needed gear.

My concern with a "bugout belt" is that it would draw unwanted attention. Assuming it's not a complete SHTF situation (at which point I'd have my rifle in hand and staying low-key wouldn't matter), I'd opt for something that doesn't scream "armed man" when people see it. I don't know what your concealed carry laws are like in Austria, but if you're only looking to carry things that would fit on a belt, I'd go with a concealed handgun and a small bag with other essentials.

Just my opinion. That and $5 might get you a cup of coffee.
Old August 12, 2020, 12:32 PM   #3
ballardw

Try a hunter, fisherman or cameraman's vest with lots of pockets. That will "fit" with being in the outdoors. Some of the pockets are even big enough for a laptop in some models.

A few concealed carry vests may fit as well if you want a pistol and mags available in better presentation than a typical pocket.
Old August 12, 2020, 03:35 PM   #4
simonrichter

good point(s), thx! I can actually "carry" only onside my own premises anyway, and of course I would use the belt + pockets rather to have everything strung up than actually wear it outside my fences... (in a shtf situation, for hiking it's no big deal because it looks more like photo equipment than LE or military stuff as long as it's without a gun holster)

But the vest us a good idea, also the matter of non-conspicuous colors...
Old August 12, 2020, 07:41 PM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Warhammer

$5 wont buy starbucks, but scathing internet comments are free.

simonrichter

What about a "fanny pack?" Some people still wear them, despite the questionable fashion statement, and some have pouches for specifically for handguns.
Old August 12, 2020, 08:26 PM   #6
Warhammer

It's been awhile since I've wasted a bunch of cash for a coffee-flavored milkshake at Starbucks. I guess I haven't kept up with caffeination inflation.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I once had, and might still possess, a Bianchi holster/fanny pack. But if I did, I wouldn't wear it in public. (Except on my motorcycle, where it blends into my riding jacket and still gives quick access to my handgun.)
Old August 15, 2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Just don't be this guy: http://users.content.ytmnd.com/8/5/a...61b7437fcb.jpg
Jeepaholic