The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2000, 01:15 AM   #1
char923

Does anyone have a Redding Competition seater die and how good and accurate are they.
Old December 2, 2000, 06:11 AM   #2
JMC

Redding Seater Die

I recently purchased two, one in .45-70 and one in 9mm Luger.

To be brief, they are great. I intend to order another in .40S&W shortly.

I use mine in a manner that one of the Redding techs suggested after I could not figure out how to return the mic to "0" after adjustment.
After I get my setting for a particular bullet, I write it down. I keep this slip of paper in the die box. Then, I can adjust the micrometer up or down from there according to bullet style/length, etc. A simple check with a digital caliper to be sure and your done.

I intend to start a small log book just for this procedure. Between myself, my son and son-in-law, we load 4 different 9mm bullets alone. This will make the process much easier and faster.

For the 9mm I was using the Dillon seating die and did not care for the trial and error method of bullet seating that it affords. The Redding die works very well in the 550B press.

No more turning, guessing and numerous adjustments as to COL!

Midway had the best price when I bought my 2 dies. The list is $75.00 and they get, I believe, $51.99 w/shipping.
Old December 2, 2000, 07:19 PM   #3
umstud

JMC, the Redding competition die is absolutely worth the money. I shoot IPSC and am very meticulous about getting very precise oal. I make sure that the cases and bullets I use are of consistent length and am able to get all my rounds to within .002" of the desired oal using the Redding die. I also ditched all my other Dillon dies and replaced them with a set of reddings. The case sizing and deprimer die is much better than the Dillon. The Dillon has a wider bell at the opening of the die and if you use once fired brass especially those that have been shot from a glock, the sizing does not go all the way down to the bottom of the case. This will cause you to end up with a lot of rounds which will not pass the case gauge test. Try the redding you will love them. stud
Old December 3, 2000, 03:53 AM   #4
bk40

The Redding is top quality and worth the price. One add'l benefit is it usually seats the bullet "straighter" reducing runout. The Forrester/Bonanza cmp seater is a little cheaper and works just as good.
Old December 3, 2000, 04:23 AM   #5
char923

Thanks guys for the info, I will pick one up.