The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2011, 09:23 PM   #1
William_IV

BP revolver Holsters and rigs

Can anyone tell me if an 1860 army would fit in a triple k cheyene style holster. Mine has an 8" barrel and it seems there is not much to choose from when it comes to holsters for these. I am thinking of getting a drop style belt.

Also wondering (just out of curiosity) why bp colt 1860 holsters are closed on the bottom and not open. Would these not fill up with dirt on a long and dusty horse back trail ride?

For my use i'd be just doing target shooting in the desert. no horses
Old July 8, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
egor20

Here ya go.

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/holsters_...51_navy-8.html

I like this company, Bill and Sue are good people and their prices are cheaper than Triple K.

BTW, I ride a lot and (not with BP or cowboy guns) and all my holsters are covered at the muzzle, and yes its because of dust,

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 8, 2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Hawg

The Cheyenne's are made for 7 1/2 inch barrels at the most. Most people use Slim Jim holsters for C&B revolvers, with or without the skirt.
Old July 9, 2011, 12:57 AM   #4
William_IV

Not sure what a slim jim holster is, that might be what i bought. Cabelas calls it a western holster it has no strap across the top, but it has a collar halfway down the holster that snaps around the belt loop in the back. It fit perfectly!
Old July 9, 2011, 01:08 AM   #5
William_IV

I can see now that i may need another holster, perhaps a cross draw so that one could sit and drive. I was impressed today the cabelas associate was quite helpfull. He explained how the cross draw had the slanted belt hoop and how in the sitting position, it was more usefull to retrieve the firearm quickly.

Well I think i'm hooked up for my first day out for shooting, I can already tell i'm gonna enjoy shooting BP. Should be a nice cool dusty 115 in the desert tomorrow. Should be a good time.
Old July 9, 2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Not sure what a slim jim holster is
Something like these.

Old July 11, 2011, 09:27 PM   #7
ZVP

The Cheyanne has about 1/2" freeplay on the end of the Holster so lengthwise it'll probablly fir, however the frame and cylinder will be a little on the small side for that upper area of the holster. sorry to say, it may be too loose a fit.
A Slim Jim is likely a better choice. Their cylinder area is smaller and the barrel area is long enough to fit an 8" bbl.
I have a Cheyanne holster that I use for my 5 1/2" 1858 Remington. It's a cross-draw and fits perfectlly but the Remington frame is wider, much like a Ruger or Colt so it fits the holster.
Outside of getting a Custom Holster made, I'd suggest not wasting your money on that holster cause it'll be too big.
I follow this general sizing rule of thumb. Colt Open Tops are sized near the .22 lr Single Six. Remingtons are sized much like a Colt 1873.
HTH
ZVP
Old July 13, 2011, 11:58 PM   #8
William_IV

Hawg

Great picture are those yours?... very nice!

yes you are correct Got a slim Jim holster, one thing i notice is that the cylinder keeps hitting against the top rim of the case when i holster it. Does this get better once i break it in?
Old July 14, 2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Hawg

Yeah, they're mine but they're just cheap holsters with conchos added. They wouldn't stand up to heavy use. If its decent leather you can dampen the lip and stuff something in it to flare it out while it dries. If its cheap leather like mine that wont work and will make matters worse.
Old July 14, 2011, 11:56 AM   #10
sltm1

Hawg, You might try stiffening the holster by spraying it with what they use to give felt hat brims some "starch". Get a spray bottle, fill it 1/2 with ethel or denatured alcohol, add liquid shellac and mix till it get's to be the color of strong tea. Set a form in the holster to make the flare, spray till wet, then let dry. Soaks into and works on felt, why not leather?!
Old July 14, 2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Hawg

It might work, I dunno. There's two kinds of leather. Good leather is vegetable tanned, you can work with it. Then there's chrome tanned and you cant do much with it. Chrome tanned with a lot of use gets soft and floppy. Just about anything you try to do with it only speeds up the process. Oiling is absolutely the worst thing you can do to chrome tanned.
Old July 14, 2011, 01:40 PM   #12
Rachen

There are some holsters called frogs (universal holsters) with an open muzzle end which you can fit anything from a standard SAA to a Buntline. I had one for a while, but then I preferred a closed holster on both ends...Outdoor construction work and open carry put together brings the need for a protective holster