The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 3, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1
geoffthesnake

Ruger SP101 good buy or save my bills?

I've always thought the Ruger SP101 looked kind of dorky. I mean, there are other small framed revolvers that look "better" take for example the S&W model 60.

Well I went to my local gun shop today to browse, I hadn't been in for a month or so. I saw that they had in a new SP101 for 475$ and a used SP101 for 449$. Both were stainless, however the used one was DAO and had some finish wear. But the DA trigger on it was FLAWLESS, very crisp and smooth. I compared its' trigger pull to a used S&W model 60, and the model 60 felt like pulling an anchor in DA. The model 60 was also stainless and 519$.

My question is, do you think 449$ for a used SP101 is a good price? I will add that it does have the hogue mono grip installed on it, which IMO made it feel very comfortable. I'm not against DA triggers, as I would use this gun as a backup HD gun or as a CCW. I have a sig p229 40 and a Ruger security six in 357 currently. Do I need another gun? No, but man I would certainly enjoy getting a stainless one.
Old September 3, 2010, 01:47 PM   #2
sakeneko

$449 for a used SP101 in good condition sounds about par for the course to me. The SP101 is a fine revolver. I own an S&W Model 60, but I bought it only when I couldn't find an SP101 in spring of 2009. :-) I'm not at all unhappy with my choice -- the M60 is an excellent gun. The SP101 is built like a tank, however; it is probably the toughest gun of its size in existence. I've shot several of them and like them very much.

This model's main flaw when new, I am told, is a heavy trigger that is often rough because Ruger isn't as strong on "fit and finish" as S&W is. Buying an SP101 that has been used and shot for a few years probably means that you let somebody else get rid of any burrs and finishing flaws, making the trigger a lot better. The price you mention isn't wonderful, but it is by no means out of line for this model of gun when used but in good shape.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:39 PM   #3
VTRich

I have an SP101 in .327 Fed, and recently purchased a S&W 60 in .357. The single action pull is much nicer on my S&W, but I was surpised to find the SP101 double action pull more "consistent". The S&W seems to actually get a bit harder as you pull, then lightens a bit! The S&W also has adjustable sights for what it's worth.

I love shooting both. When I bought the S&W, they also had a SP101 3" barrel for $479 new. Another local dealer has a used SP101 3" for $399 (and he always comes down a tad). If you go for the used Ruger, I would offer $400 to start.

BTW, if you decide to buy new, S&W is giving a $50 rebate right now on J Frames in 357 or 38 Special.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4
geoffthesnake

Thanks for info guys. My gun dealer doesn't come down in price. I've already tried on a few other instances and he stands firm on the given price. Which is alright, because I like to support local business, especially a gun store.

Is 327 fairly common? I know that particular caliber hasn't been around for too long.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:01 PM   #5
MW surveyor

You didn't mention in your original post what the caliber of the SP 101 was. Your last says 327, so now I'm really not sure how to answer but anyway.....

The difference you originally posted between new and used is pretty slim and considering that on average a Houge grip only costs less than $20. Not sure of what used guns are going for where you live but, I picked up a used 3" SP 101 357 for $200.00. If you really want a used gun, look around some more. JMHO
Old September 3, 2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Big Bill

I love my SP101 357 3" revolver. I sent it to my gunsmith for a trigger job right after I bought it and it is very smooth now. I personally wouldn't buy a DA only SP101. I especially wouldn't buy a 327 caliber. It just hasn't been around long enough to garner a wide following and still may go the way of the 45 GAP. Stick with the tried and true 357 Mag caliber. And, I like the ability to actuate the hammer like shooting a single action revolver. I love to hear the clicks of the hamer cocking. I also love the short trigger pull when the hammer is cocked.

just my $.02
Old September 3, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

That's not much of a bargain,,,

Buds Gun Shop has a brand new SP-101 for $449,,,
Click here please

Granted if you bought one from Buds there would be a transfer fee,,,
And depending on your state maybe sales tax,,,
But $449 ain't a real bargain,,,
It's maybe a fair price,,,
But not a bargain.

The real determinant is if you really like and want the gun,,,
You will not be getting ripped off paying that price,,,
You're getting what's probably market value.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 3, 2010, 03:53 PM   #8
DanThaMan1776

25 dollar difference.. get the new one.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Fiv3

An SP101 or GP100 is going to be my next hand gun purchase. Personally, I'll take tough over finish. I love chunky bombproof revolvers as long as they are are carried in a holster.
Old September 3, 2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Satanic Toaster

I like my DAO SP101. It is currently my carry gun in an IWB holster.
If I remember correctly, mine was $450 out the door brand new.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:43 PM   #11
geoffthesnake

I wont buy anything through buds as they send credit card information to a 3rd party. I just think that is kind of screwy, and no one around me (gun dealers that is) accept transfers from buds anyways.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a feeling the ruger sp101 will be on my christmas list.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Buckeye!

Sp101 357mag. 3in barrel

They are built like tanks....

475-500 NIB in local gunstores.....

375 - 430 for a used one (if you can find one)
Old September 6, 2010, 07:30 PM   #13
QuarterHorse

I'm getting ready to "pull the trigger" on buying one. I'm trying to wait 'till the gun show coming up, but Bud's has 'em for 449.00 with free shipping. That's going to be hard to beat.
Old September 6, 2010, 07:41 PM   #14
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
Both were stainless, however the used one was DAO and had some finish wear. But the DA trigger on it was FLAWLESS, very crisp and smooth. I compared its' trigger pull to a used S&W model 60, and the model 60 felt like pulling an anchor in DA.
If that SP101 has a much better trigger than the new SP101, and the used S&W 60, then maybe it's had a trigger job. I'd grab that one!