The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 27, 2006, 10:10 AM   #1
newworldCurmudgeon

"single shot" revolver

About 5 years ago, I was in a gunshop, and the gunsmith had a "single shot" revolver. let me explain

It looked like a SAA, but was a topbreak, single shot, but it had the weight of a SAA. Has anyone else seen or heard of a pistol like this? I figure it would be good for introducing new people to shooting, but I do not know who the manufactered this pistol

Thanks in advance
Old January 27, 2006, 10:58 AM   #2
deadin

Are you sure it was a top-break? Savage made a single-shot .22 that looked like a SAA but the single-shot "cylinder" and intregal barrel swung out to the side for loading. It was a Model 101, made from 1960 to 1968.

Dean
Old January 27, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Quantrill

Ruger made a SAA looking single shot a few years back. Probably used a blackhawk frame. I believe it was called the "Hawkeye" and was in .256 calibre. Quantrill
Old January 27, 2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

But the Hawkeye wasn't a topbreak, was it?

I thought the loading block tipped to the side.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 27, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Quantrill

Mike,
While I never had one,(heck! I never even saw one in person), I am pretty sure you are correct. The pictures I saw "looked" like the breach folded out similiar to a revolver cylinder. I know he said top break, I was just thinking of look alike factor of a SAA. Quantrill
Old January 27, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6
deadin

Mike,
Right on the Hawkeye. Kind of like the Colt Camp Perry. Revolver frames, no cylinder. Just a "block" for loading.
The only top-break built on a revolver frame that comes to mind are the S&W single shots from around the turn of the century. And they didn't look anything like a SAA. (There also were the Sheridan and the S&W Straight Line, but they looked like Semi-Autos)

Dean
Old January 27, 2006, 02:04 PM   #7
mete

Ruger Hawkeye, like a SAA, S&W Straight Line , like a semiauto, Colt Camp Perry, like a DA revolver and H&R ,a top break single shot ,designed from their revolver.
Old January 29, 2006, 10:22 AM   #8
pipoman

My uncle had a sgl shot like this I saw when I was a kid, I always wondered what it was. I think it was a .22, I don't recall what the action was like. His had dummy rounds in the exposed cylinders when you looked at it from the front.
Old February 3, 2006, 03:38 AM   #9
newworldCurmudgeon

Thanks for the information

Sorry work has kept me a little busy. Deadin it was a few years ago,and I am pretty sure it was a top break, I think it was the H&R mete talked about. Thanks again everyone
Old February 3, 2006, 09:24 AM   #10
deadin

Could have been the H&R. They are not uncommon and aren't too bad a plinker. But, looks like a SAA?

Dean
Old February 5, 2006, 08:00 AM   #11
newworldCurmudgeon

Dean

Deadin/Dean

I thought it was but it may not have been, what I definitly remember it was a top break, and looked and felt like a regular revolver (it was over three years ago) I thought it was a good idea for getting a new shooter used to shooting a "full sized" revolver without worrying about more than one shot.

I know I can just load one round in a revolver....and when I am with new shooters I will load empty cases with regular rounds, to see how their trigger control is. but there has been more than one that will take a shot and then turn around with the weapon....usually just because they forget about the safety rules..... I have modified how I teach new shooters....now i only concentrate on the four rules the first time I take them to the range, and basically ignore any fundementals of marksmanship. I would rather have a safe shooter versus an accuracte shooter, at least until I kow they will come to the range again....

thanks again for all the replies
Old February 5, 2006, 12:19 PM   #12
deadin

Here's a link to a H&R USRA .22 SS. Is THis it?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976677323.htm

Dean
Old February 8, 2006, 06:45 AM   #13
newworldCurmudgeon

Darn memory and pictures

Dean, that is not it, however looking at the other H&R revolvers, I realise how my memory could be slipping.... this would be so much easier if:

1. I was back in the states (specifically Arizona) and
2. The shop I saw it in was still open.

If I remember right it was like Pipoman described, it had a cylinder ( don't remember if it had dummy rounds in it. Darn memory must be getting to me

Thanks again, I'll surf on for more info though
Old February 8, 2006, 10:27 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

You know...

For some reason I'm thinking that Savage made a single-shot revolver look handgun in the 1950s...

Oh man, I'm hoping that I have the answer...

Savage made the Model 101, a single shot .22 that looked a LOT like an Old West revolver. It wasn't top break, though...

Old February 8, 2006, 10:37 AM   #15
Jim Watson

The likely suspect is the Savage 101 although, as deadin says, it opens to the side, not topbreak.

Mendoza of Mexico also made a single shot .22 faked up to look like a SAA. Arizona seems a likely place for one to turn up.

Sheridan tried to branch out from air rifles and sold a single shot .22 pistol, the Knockabout. But it doesn't much resemble a revolver.
Old February 8, 2006, 10:45 AM   #16
deadin

I forgot about the Mendoza. Anybody dredge up a picture or link?

Dean
Old February 8, 2006, 11:40 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

To quote Ranier Wolfcastle of the Simpsons...

MMMMEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Old February 8, 2006, 09:25 PM   #18
walter in florida

Savage 101

I have a Savage 101 and it is too small and very light. I only shot it 5 times and could not hit the side of a barn even if I was inside with the doors closed. Still got it and made a case to keep it in. It is in pretty good condition according to a gun collector/dealer. Smith & Wesson made a top break single shot (lst Model Single Shot) built on the frame of a 38 single action. only 1251 were made in 22, 32 S&W and 38 S&W.