The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 23, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
urbanassault

Springfield model 1898

I have recently pulled my dads Springfield model 1898 out of the closet. It hadnt been cleaned in like 700 years and it was DIRTY:barf: . I looked on the internet to get info on how to remove the bolt but was wondering if there is a good site to get other info on it. Im looking for stuff like the history, when and where it was used and ways to identify how old it is. Thanks. It also has a shorter stock in the front (doesnt barely go halfway down) the stock also has 1901 etched in the sides and a fancy curly "P" right behind the trigger guard. I know without pics of it its hard for anybody to say how old it is but if I could just get links to sites or any info anybody can come up with. Thanks

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Jim Watson

You have a US Krag Jorgensen rifle, model of 1898, calibre .30-40 Krag, sometimes also listed as .30 US or .30 Army (.30 Government is .30-06, not the same thing.) The "1901" marking is kind of a clue as to when it was made. The "P" is a proof mark that it was tested, inspected, and found good to go. The Krag was officially adopted in 1892 but not really in service until 1894, and stayed in production in several models until 1902, when it was clear that we were going to a new rifle, the 1903 Springfield.

The half stock could mean any of three things.
It was shortened to reduce weight for hunting.
It is a carbine version (worth more $).
It is an NRA carbine, a rifle altered to carbine length for sale to NRA members when the Krags were declared surplus. The government used to trust Americans with military rifles.

Pictures would be a great help. Value is based on condition and originality.
Old January 23, 2006, 02:32 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That 1901 marking with the inspector's initials is what is called a "Cartouche". The initials may look like something else, but they are JSA for J. Sumnar Adams, the Springfield Armory master armorer of the period.

If the short stock indicates an original carbine, the gun may have considerable value. It the stock was cut down to make a sporting rifle, the value is considerably less.

Jim
Old January 23, 2006, 02:35 PM   #4
urbanassault

I dont remember seeing anything that looked like JSA, there was the 1901 I believe it had a circle around it but thats all, it wasnt the rectangular cartouche that Ive seen in pics. There is P on the bottom that is in that fashion though.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 24, 2006, 10:39 AM   #5
urbanassault

I take that back, I actually sat down and looked at it last night and it does have the "JSA" cartouche and says 1901 under it. It looks as if the front of the stock was cutoff because it isnt finished real smooth on the end. Also it is missing the rear site. The serial # is 461XXX so from what I have read about it that means it was built after 1899 (if the number is higher than 152,670)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum