The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 21, 2017, 08:41 PM   #1
rjinga

AQT “D” and Red Dawn Targets

The rifle: PTR 91 GI. The ammunition: surplus Germany. Iron sights (no scope).

I stacked up several rubber mats so that I could sit and prop my elbow on my leg (and shot over the rail separating the range from the shooting tables.

Here are the AQT “D” target’s dimensions:

45 out of 50 points for 10 shots at 25 yds (supposed to simulate full-size target at 100 yds).

34 out of 50 for 10 shots at 50 yds (supposed to simulate full-size target at 200 yds).

29 out of 50 for 8 out of 10 shots at 75 yds (supposed to simulate full-size target at 300 yds). The other two shots were off of the paper.

Only 9 out of 50 for 7 out of 10 shots at 100 yds (supposed to simulate full-size target at 400 yds). The other three shots were off of the paper.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old April 21, 2017, 08:42 PM   #2
rjinga

Cont.

Next I put a Red Dawn target (the bunker) at 100 yds and fired two sets of five shots each at it off of the table using a gun rest.

And I ended the range trip with the “full-size” Red Dawn target at 50 yds. I was standing, holding the rifle pointed down-range at a 45 degree angle. Then, I’d look out onto the range, see the enemy soldier with his rifle aimed at me, and raise my rifle and fire one shot as quickly as possible. 10 shots total (and I knew I’d pulled that one shot as I made it).

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old April 22, 2017, 09:32 AM   #3
kraigwy

They use to make those AQT targets redused to 50 ft. shot using the 22 Sub Cal devices in the M16a1's.

They were fired in the CNGB Postal Matches. (Chief of the National Guard Bureau).

They were individual and team matches. The Team Matches were members of a NG Separate Company or Battalion Units.

I was a company commander of one of the AK NG Native Units and we did pretty good. The winning unit was sent to Nashville to compete against other states. So they flew us from Nome AK, to Nashville, two nights in a hotel, so we could shoot 50 rounds of 22s, in about 30 minutes, then back to Nome.

We didn't have an indoor range, and it was too rough shooting outside on St. Lawrence Island in the winter. We set up a 50 ft range in the armory to practice. We used C-rat Cases filled with sand as a back stop. It wasn't tell spring that we notice the dirt filled C-rat cases didn't hold up to a lot of practice and we had some nice holes in the armory walls.

It was good training. The training allowed the 1st Scouts (1/297 Inf, AK ARNG) to win most of the States Combat Matches, (same targets at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards) and they then competed in the National Guard Championships at Camp Robinson, (Little Rock) Arkansas.

The training was also good for these guys taking their M16a1s and "barrowed ammo" to harvest seals.

I often think of the Bering Sea and my soldiers when I hear about those Navy SEALs rescuing the Skipper of that freighter. They had a bigger target, and were shooting from a somewhat more stable platform then these natives bobbing around in their little boats shooting at a target (also bobbing around) which wasn't much more then the nose of the seal.

Those were the good old days. I still have my USGI Sub Cal device and my SP1, (civilian version of the A1).

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 23, 2017, 01:07 AM   #4
armoredman

I use that same target at 100 yards - the 5MOA red dot is almost exactly the same size as that head blob. Targets courtesy of Appleseed, a great organization.
Nice rifle, sir, thank you for sharing!