The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Hammercrg29

Colt Govt. model .380 safety question

Hey guys, I have a couple questions regarding a Colt government model .380 (mark IV/series 80). I am missing the safety plunger, and the safety plunger spring I have does not pull out freely from the gun. I didn't force it out but I was able to turn it out like a screw. Does the safety plunger spring come out like a screw or should it fall out/pull out freely? Also does anyone have a picture of the back of the safety lever or know what the back side of the safety lever looks like? I know you have to pretty much take the gun apart in order to remove the safety lever and I don't really want to take it that far apart. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated regarding the spring and back of the safety lever. Also does anyone know where I can get a safety plunger for this model? All the sites I've tried suck as coltparts.com and Numrich are sold out. Anyone know of a different place to search for the plunger? Thank you.
Old September 4, 2015, 06:33 PM   #2
RickB

The SIG P238, Kimber Micro, and . . . there's another one; Rock Island Armory(?) are essentially clones of the Mustang.
One of those companies probably has the part your're looking for.

EDIT: Not Rock Island, but I'm pretty sure there's a third maker of a Mustang clone.
Old September 4, 2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Hammercrg29

Colt government model .380 mark IV series 80

Hi, thanks for the info but it's not a Mustang that I have it's just a government model .380. I think there is a difference between the two or maybe there isn't? Are you sure they are the same?
Old September 4, 2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think Kimber and SIG are the only companies offering Mustang clones. Rock Island does have a "Baby Rock" model in .380 Auto, but it seems to be copied from a Spanish Llama rather than the Colt Mustang.

Hammer, the Government 380 and the Mustang are pretty much the same except for the length of the slide and barrel. What plunger are you looking for? The firing pin safety plunger in the slide?
Old September 4, 2015, 09:22 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

In those guns the safety positioning is controlled by a small spring and plunger that sits crossways in the frame and operates on two detents in the back of the safety thumbpiece. There are several guns using the same design and in some the inside coil of the plunger spring is expanded to keep the spring from flying out when the safety thumbpiece is removed. Ideally, the plunger should have a "tit" fitting inside the spring to keep it in place also, but I don't think any of those guns have that.

Jim
Old September 4, 2015, 10:10 PM   #6
Ibmikey

The Colt series pistols as well as the Sig and Kimber use the old Star method of a spring inside a hole in the hammer pin and topped with a tiny plunger. I purchased five plungers and five springs from Sig parts to have on hand for boo boo's with my Star, Sig, Mustang and Kimber Micro sized pistols.....bad news is they get five bucks for each spring and each plunger.
Old September 4, 2015, 11:54 PM   #7
gyvel

Quote:
bad news is they get five bucks for each spring and each plunger.
Even worse news: The plungers are easily made using something as simple as an electric drill in a vise (your primitive lathe) a couple pieces of correct diameter rod (nails, broken drill bit, coat hanger, what-have-you), and a good set of needle files.

The springs you should be able to scrounge out of something.

Total cost: $0.00

(Or, you could buy the same parts from Numrich for the Star Model F pistol for much less than $5.00 a pop.)

As always, YMMV.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; September 5, 2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old September 5, 2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Ibmikey

Gyvel is correct about making the plunger however they are tiny with two diffferent diameters as the tail goes inside the spring, the spring is a very small diameter and would not be normally found. I have not attempted to sell Sigs parts for them simply wished to point out a source. With something as simple as a spring and plunger perhaps someone will come up with readily available parts that will work, anything to get the pistol up and running again. If not Sig is an alternative.
Old September 5, 2015, 10:02 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

If one is willing to go to a manufacturer for parts, why not (in this case) simply go to Colt? If there is any difference among those guns (and each company made some changes), Colt will supply the correct part.

If it were my gun, I would do as Gyvel suggests.

Jim
Old September 5, 2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Hammercrg29

Colt government model .380 safety

Thanks for all the advice guys. Aguila I am looking for the plunger which I haven't been able to find anywhere. I was able to find the spring like you gutys said for about $5 but not the plunger. I might try to make one as gavel suggested. Do you guys think a small ball bearing the right diameter would work in place of the plunger?
Old September 5, 2015, 05:58 PM   #11
Ibmikey

I would think a ball bearing would not hold in the safety detent. Send me a PM with your address and i will send you a plunger.
Old September 5, 2015, 07:35 PM   #12
tallball

In addition to being slightly larger, is it the case that the Government Model 380 fires from a locked breech and that the Mustang does not?

I have a Government Model 380 and like it very much.
Old September 5, 2015, 07:45 PM   #13
jcj54

mustang

It is a locked breech design....BUT the slide stop is an investment casting. Hot ammo can badly deform the pin of the slide stop. Colt does NOT sell replacements. Jack First of Rapid City SD sells them... $55.00 plus shipping. Expensive lesson for me....
Jack First probably has the parts you need.
Old September 5, 2015, 07:48 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, they both have a locked breech. Gun Parts Corp. shows the same diagram and parts list for both.

Here is one response: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290764

I don't know if a ball would work or not, but it would certainly be more likely to fall out and be lost if the safety is removed.

Jim
Old September 5, 2015, 09:04 PM   #15
tallball

Thank you James.
Old September 6, 2015, 12:00 AM   #16
gyvel

Quote:
Gyvel is correct about making the plunger however they are tiny with two diffferent diameters as the tail goes inside the spring, the spring is a very small diameter and would not be normally found.
For those who don't have a lathe, it is still easy enough to use your needle file to make the tail first, then reverse the pin and make your round head. The spring is possibly the same diameter as the flint spring in a BIC lighter. (I haven't checked.)

At any rate, the plunger is the same as the Star F and that part is available from Numrich (Gun Parts).
SIFE
Old September 7, 2015, 04:37 AM   #17
Ibmikey

Problem solved i mailed him a plunger, the spring could possibly be the same diameter as an AR piviot pin spring i did not measure (the safety spring is really small) but the AR spring is considerably stronger and may make a more positive pressure against the safety. Many parts can be modified to work by experimentation when working on firearm problems as an immediate or temporary repair, a soda can cut down made a mag well liner for my mod 54 Winchesteer until a replacement could be found some years later.
Old September 7, 2015, 09:17 AM   #18
tallball

They look like this:

Old September 7, 2015, 11:42 AM   #19
Hammercrg29

Colt government .380 safety plunger

I can't thank you enough Ibmikey, message me your info and I will gladly pay you for the part and shipping. I appreciate the help greatly.
Old September 8, 2015, 02:37 AM   #20
Ibmikey

No charge, my motto has always been "buy high and give away" I have about eighty Star pistols, Mustang, Sig 238 & 938, kimber Micro and probably a few others that use the same system so i keep a few extra spring and plungers for those days of the big Oops!
Old September 8, 2015, 08:16 AM   #21
Hammercrg29

Colt govt. .380 safety

Thank you for your generosity IBmikey, I appreciate it.
Old September 12, 2015, 03:45 PM   #22
Hammercrg29

Colt govt. model .380 safety question

Hi Mikey, I got the plunger in the mail today thanks again for all your help. I wanted to pick your brain about the safety a little more. No worries I don't need any parts just advice..lol. I installed the safety plunger and it works great with the hammer in the uncocked and half-cock positions but when it's cocked it takes more pressure to engage it. I noticed if I pull the hammer as far back as possible the safety will engage just as easy as if it were in the uncocked position. is this right or is something out of place inside? I had Star model Firestar in .40s&w that acted the same way so I don't know if this is the way the Colt safety is supposed to be or not. Any thoughts or insight on this?
Old September 12, 2015, 10:10 PM   #23
Ibmikey

Hammer, There is a post on the Gunboard forum (Spanish Pistols) where several of us discuss this very issue with a Star pistol which has the same safety setup as your pistol. A couple of swipes with a stone will probably resolve your problem.
Old March 26, 2016, 12:45 AM   #24
LieutenantDan

New guy, same question.

I too have a Colt government MKIV Series 80 .380, and am also in need of a safety plunger. I managed to get the spring off of Wolffsprings, and currently have the weapon at a gunsmith near me. I emailed a site that asked users to email for availability, and have yet to hear back. I realize these are hard to find, and I'm new here, piggybacking on an old thread, but I hope one of you might have some insight. Thanks in advance gentlemen (and ladies).
Old March 26, 2016, 05:29 AM   #25
Ibmikey

LtDan, i can help with a plunger however I am in Texas hog hunting for a couple of months and all Star parts are home. If you still need it in June PM me.

Tags
.380 , colt government , mark vi