The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Huh12345

Ruger mark Iv hunter problems

Hi,

I purchased a ruger mark iv hunter and had some problems. The from sight kept coming loose after a few shots, even after an application of blue lock tight. The other issue was that the rear pin kept sliding 1/5 of the way out and getting totally stuck, again after a few shots even after being hit back to place. The gun has been sent back to ruger, will update this when I get it back and take it out to shoot.
Old April 19, 2017, 12:54 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

Could be a stripped screw on the front sight or other QC Issue.

The rear pin sliding sounds like a QC issue too.

That's too bad given the price of this gun.

I have a Mark II and I've never had issues with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 19, 2017, 04:43 PM   #3
1911_Hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock
I have a Mark II and I've never had issues with mine.
That's because your Mark II was made before Ruger (and to be fair, just about all manufacturers of all products) started using the end consumers as their quality control department instead of paying sufficient numbers of workers in-house to do it.
Old April 19, 2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Recoil spring

Sounds like QC issues. But wondering on Ruger's design team?

Sounds like QC issues to me, but new design, so who knows.

I am having increasing doubts about Ruger semi-automatics. I have owned a Mk. 2, great gun, regret selling it, but the machining was not that great (bought in 1987 new). Got a Mk. 3 in 2007, nice gun, but when I first went to strip it down there was parts of metal particulates inside that moved and were not cleaned out at the factory and jammed my mag release after being moved during strip down. Had to do a full internal wipe down to get out the metal debris. Still have it, like the gun. Old proved design by W. Ruger.

Have a LCP 1, reliable carry gun, carried it for 4 years now, heavy long trigger pull though, persuaded me to buy a Kahr CW 380 as a variety piece this year, Kahr is nicer. Bought a P-89 new in 2009, the frame to slide was out of sync, frame seemed to wear fast (aluminum). Accuracy was mediocre. Bought the SR9 in 2009, overall liked it, but the trigger was so heavy it hurt my finger after 40 rds, after market kits to alleviate it at the time required custom fitting by a gunsmith, sold it. Glock trigger parts are easy drop in.

Noticing that the new LCP 2 has a design defect that can allow the mag release to depress and drop out the mag. during firing, my LCP 1 has better coverage. Won't buy the LCP 2. Just found out that the SR22 uses an aluminum slide, since slides take a real beating, what was Ruger thinking???

I love the Ruger revolvers, have owned 4, built like a tank, keepers. Have owned 4 Ruger rifles, they suck. Sold all of them. Weird how the semi-auto pistols have issues, but do actually work, to some length. The rifles are a disaster, and yes, 2 of them were 2009 vintage 10/22's. Heared the CEO at that time was chopping QC.

You are right to send your pistol back, hope it works out for you.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Huh12345

I just made a post abour this but just thought I'd follow up. I got the gun back and there were deep scratches on the muzzle. I sent it back again, considering its a gun that looks really nice and isn't cheap for a .22 pistol. Hopefully 3rd time's the charm...
Old April 30, 2017, 10:13 PM   #6
Model12Win

The new mark IVs seem to be plagued with QC problems. Come on Ruger!
Old May 1, 2017, 01:37 AM   #7
Danoobie

Yeah, I'm starting to think "shades of the Mini-14".
Old May 9, 2017, 09:36 PM   #8
Huh12345

I got it back and it seems to be in good order. Besides a bit sloppy machine work I think it should be fine.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:06 PM   #9
TunnelRat

I've got a Mk III and a 10/22 with thousands of rounds through them and no issues. I also owned an SR9c that was a failure pile in a sadness bowl. I've found Rugers a bit more hit or miss than some companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 10, 2017, 09:20 AM   #10
Model12Win

Since my 1st post I bought a mark iv blued model and it was chewing the hell out of the copper plating on several different brands of bullets, spreading copper pieces everywhere in the action. Really gouged the bullets big time when feeding and chambering.

It's off to Ruger now. I suspect an out of spec or rough feed ramp. I refused to alter or try to fix it myself, I firmly believe THEY should be the ones to fix their mistake and to make them aware of sloppy construction on their part.

Hopefully they fix it properly. I am sending it in this afternoon. I will say they were VERY easy to get ahold of, someone picked up the phone right away each time I called and there were no long stupid automated menus and no wait times. I've personally waited over TWENTY MINUTES to talk to companies like Smith and Wesson before so this was a welcomed change from the normal run around when dealing with these companies.

I'll keep you all updated. Just browsing it seems Ruger QC is slipping or has slipped. They seem to be more concerned with the bottom dollar over anything else, no surprise. All about profit.
Old May 10, 2017, 09:29 AM   #11
SGW Gunsmith

I just received a fifth Ruger Mark IV to have some trigger work done and a couple of other items updated to the customers specifications.

Front sight screw loosening cure: First clean the threads, both internal and external, from any oil or lube present. Then, you might consider using #242 Loctite, and then, a much better front sight screw.

The rear sight pivot pins do have a tendency to drift either right or left, on ALL of the rear adjustable sights, it's a straight pin. To make that drifting stop, remove the pivot pin and put a very slight bend in the middle of the pin. Thereafter it will never drift again.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:36 PM   #12
Huh12345

I think it looks good. With the scratch on the rounding of the muzzle you can kind of see where they did the machine work. I've noticed the breech face is pretty roughed up but I saw on another forum another guy experiencing the same thing so I suppose it's normal to see that wear there. I want to love this gun so much and it looks so good so here's hoping it shoots without any problems.