The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2017, 09:07 PM   #26
keithdog

I'm very surprised at the responses I have read here to my post. For hearing so little about them, there appears to be plenty of folks who have owned an FN pistol. I had started thinking there must be reliability issues with them since I hardly ever heard anyone talk about them. I can see where getting parts or accessories would be an issue for concern. You guys have got me thinking now.
Old April 21, 2017, 10:49 PM   #27
Martowski

FNs are very much "sleeper" pistols due to their marketing (or lack thereof) to the civilian population. I guess when you make more small arms for the US Government than any other manufacturer you can afford to not buy glossy full page ads in every issue of Guns & Ammo.
Old April 22, 2017, 06:54 AM   #28
dontcatchmany

I have been following this thread for several days.

I was flipping through channels last night and on SPIKE TV there was a FN commercial....on the new 509.

First commercial I have even seen for FN.
Old April 22, 2017, 07:56 AM   #29
Lexspeed

The shiney new pistol models are getting much more attention and are sucking the oxygen out of the room. FN as a brand is not very "vocal" in advertisements or the media and the classy Browning Hi Power is not visibly as popular or as attention getting. Times and styles change.

BTW, I love my Belgium made FN BHP 1969C; one of the best guns I own.
Old April 22, 2017, 08:23 AM   #30
Nathan

If they are giving away the FNS-40 again this fall, I will likely own one!

Might have to sell off my Glock 23 to make this happen as i STRONGLY prefer the manual safety!

Last edited by Nathan; April 22, 2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old April 22, 2017, 06:56 PM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have no special insider knowledge, but when a quality product fails to sell, the reason is usually a combination of the retail price and the dealer cost (e.g., the profit to be made on a sale.) Some customers will believe (rightly or not) that their favorite gun is so superior that it is worth hundreds more than any other gun on the market. But no dealer is going to buy and tout a gun, no matter how good, on which he makes $100 when he can sell a dozen guns on which he makes $200 each for only a little more effort (and probably hear a lot less BS from the customer about the "super" gun).

Jim
Old April 22, 2017, 09:00 PM   #32
Nathan

James, I think I disagree or misunderstood you.

Price is where demand equals supply. If average customers are willing to pay 400, but the dealer breaks even at 500, very few guns will be sold and it will not be popular, except with rare case buyers.

FN pistols will sell at the going price $450-$550, but the marketing is so weak that I honestly think nobody on the consumer side knows much about it.

The FNS also has some small flaws. First the grip frame is long compared to the slide. Good for fighting, but not for CCW. Second, the trigger is rough and nobody is covering that part of the market. Last, there are just a lot of players in this market that are all good.
Old April 23, 2017, 12:06 AM   #33
hemiram

I finally sold my FNS-40 a few days ago. I really only bought it because of it being on sale so cheap. I really hated the grip and a coworker said he would buy it at what I wanted for it, which basically got me even, so it was gone. I decided to get rid of my .40 S&W stuff, and that was one strike against it, but the real reason I sold it was I really really really hated the over aggressively textured grip. Yeah, I could have sanded the little points down, but doing that to a new, unfired gun was just crazy, IMHO. It looks like it's replacement has the same overdone grip texturing. Too bad.
Old April 23, 2017, 02:04 PM   #34
Pinky Carruthers

I have an FNP-9 and FNP-45. Great guns.
Also have two Hi Powers.
SOM
Old April 23, 2017, 06:09 PM   #35
Bartholomew Roberts

I liked the FNX when I shot it, and the FNX-45 is a wonder - a double stack .45 that feels like a 9mm in the grip. If I had confidence they'd last like a Glock, I'd have bought one.

However, the anecdotal reports aren't leaning that way and it is still a big pistol compared to the Hi-Power.
Old April 23, 2017, 06:17 PM   #36
TunnelRat

Quote:
However, the anecdotal reports aren't leaning that way and it is still a big pistol compared to the Hi-Power.
Well yea. It's a double stack 45 holding 15+1 rds of 45 ACP compared to 13+1 rds of 9mm. To me that's like saying the pickup truck is bigger than the compact car. It kind of goes without saying.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 24, 2017, 11:52 AM   #37
Bartholomew Roberts

I was thinking of the FNX-9 when I made that comment. It is about a half inch taller than a Hi-Power and the squared slide makes it look thicker/bigger even though it is a wee bit shorter.
Old April 24, 2017, 08:05 PM   #38
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Nathan,

You said, "FN pistols will sell at the going price $450-$550..."

Apparently not. In my limited experience, customers are more likely to be influenced by 1) price and 2) dealer recommendation than by national ad campaigns or sites such as this one. Ads my get a customer into the store, but the product and the salesperson do the selling. The points you mention may seem minor, but can be deal breakers unless balanced by hefty discounts.

Jim
Old April 25, 2017, 08:22 AM   #39
shepsan

As others have indicated, the focus of the company has mainly been on the Military and Police markets. That said, I chose the FN product because of my impression having tried a friend's FN pistol.

I have owned both the FNS-40 and FNX-40. Each in its own right was better than any other .40 pistol I have handled.

FN builds quality, well-built, reliable and accurate weapons. My .40 pistols are too large to carry concealed without a jacket. Nevertheless, I consider them to be the equal to any large size revolver or pistol I have owned for protection purposes.
Old April 25, 2017, 09:30 PM   #40
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
The FNS also has some small flaws. First the grip frame is long compared to the slide. Good for fighting, but not for CCW. Second, the trigger is rough and nobody is covering that part of the market. Last, there are just a lot of players in this market that are all good.
The new FNS-9c and FNS-40c seem to have addressed your long grip concern and owners feel the .40 recoil isn't much different than the 9mm model. Just about any gun that offers mags holding 14+ 9mm or .40 rounds tend to have long grips, so there's almost always a tradeoff with grip length vs. capacity.

There are several "do-it-yourself" videos on You Tube showing you how to smooth out the FNS trigger, and a guy on the FN Forum is working on an update that includes shortening the reset, too. I'm looking forward to it.

Apex is releasing a trigger kit for the new FN-509 (which is based on the FNS system, updated for the U.S. handgun competition -- which SIG won) and we are told that the same kit will work in the FNS-9 and FNS-40.

I have both an FNS-40 and FNS-40L and they are maybe the best-shooting .40s I've owned -- and I've owned a bunch of them over the years: Glock, SIG, CZ, S&W (both 3rd Gen and the Pro model), Steyr, Witness, etc.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 26, 2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old April 26, 2017, 01:57 PM   #41
Road_Clam

I recently purchased the FNX45T. Wish I had not waited so long. FN's are kind of a niche market and not as popular (and more expensive )than a comparable Glock. I also have a G22 and really don't care for the Glock. The FNX45T is an amazingly smooth shooting platform for a polymer 45 platform. Shoots and spits ANY type of ammo period. Very reliable action function over a wide span of velocities. My FNX45T is like the AK-47 of handguns....

Last edited by Road_Clam; April 26, 2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old April 26, 2017, 06:49 PM   #42
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
My FNX45T is like the AK-47 of handguns...
Except the FNX45Ts are supposed to be very accurate. That's never been claimed for an AK-47...
Old April 27, 2017, 09:41 AM   #43
sserdlihc

I know that when I go into my LGS, finding accessories, sights, and holsters for Glock and Springfield are more plentiful than FN.
Old April 28, 2017, 10:48 PM   #44
propforce

I believe in the last military handgun proposals where the Sig P320 won the contract, FN came in a close 2nd. This means they were very strong in functionality and reliability of the gun, but loss out in the final selection to Sig perhaps due to price.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:00 PM   #45
TunnelRat

Quote:
I believe in the last military handgun proposals where the Sig P320 won the contract, FN came in a close 2nd. This means they were very strong in functionality and reliability of the gun, but loss out in the final selection to Sig perhaps due to price.
I'm curious where you got that info, because I haven't seen anything so far from the test showing any comparison or even describing how they ended up in any kind of ranking.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 28, 2017, 11:44 PM   #46
kozak6

FN makes interesting pistols, and it seems like there's always some crazy sale somewhere.

$45 magazines are a real bummer, though.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:56 PM   #47
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
$45 magazines are a real bummer...
At least they come with three. That's a nice touch.
Old April 29, 2017, 12:55 AM   #48
propforce

TunnelRat,

Apparently I was mistaken with the facts. Both Sig and Glocks were the finalists and Sig beated out Glocks to win the contract. FN and Berretta were eliminated just a month prior. Glock has filed a protest but this will not stop the Army from proceeding the contract with Sig.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ce-pistol.html

This should teach me on doing my own research before posting, though I've heard the previous erroneous statement from whom I considered a knowledgeable friend. I apologize for posting the erroneous fact prior. Sorry to have confused you.
Old April 29, 2017, 10:11 AM   #49
Danoobie

Some companies have to go about in the world, screaming
"LOOK AT US! We're P E R F E C T!"

Other companies, ones
which have survived a World War, or two, prefer to put
their quality where their mouth is.

FN is one of the latter. They don't have to brag. They
simply know they are the best. If you don't already know,
you'll figure it out.

My personal experience with them? A FNX45, Five seveN,
and an old GP35, and nary a hiccup, ever, from any of