The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 18, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
zjeepgozweeln

Wild Boar/Pig hunting... which sidearm to carry?

I'm going to be hunting some pig with my .308 here in CA. I like being prepared... Is a model 1911 .45 ACP or another semi auto 9mm enough to stop a charging pig? Should I pickup a .357 or .44 revolver? I've read some people recommend a magnum with a 6" barrel minimum for wild swine.

I don't own a real handgun, yet. (I don't consider my .25 ACP Ortgies antique much firepower) I've shot them all and can handle anything. There is no such thing as all purpose, but it would be nice to be able to take it to the range and not empty my wallet every time. I like the fact that the 1911 is semi auto and the 9mm or .45 ammo would be cheaper than the magnum. The .357 would be acceptable because I can shoot .38 specials as well.

Budget is definitely a consideration. So I'm thinking a basic 5" 1911 that I can customize later. Magnum wise I'm looking at a Ruger GP161 double action 6" bbl.

Any thoughts?

P.S. If you're about to recommend a Desert Eagle, forget it. I'm not impressed with those unreliable Hollywood POS(sorry if I offended any owners).

Last edited by zjeepgozweeln; November 18, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: clarify
Old November 18, 2008, 02:41 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

.45 On one hip and an easy to draw 6 inch blade on the other... Likely hood of being "charged" really are limited to 2 situations and one of those is extremely hard to create. First and most common charge will come from a wounded hog you get in close to and find it is not only NOT dead but very much alive. If you can get your gun drawn and finish it off before it charges or before it is knocking you over than GREAT the .45acp will poke a hole in their head better than a .22lr at the slaughter house.
If he gets the jump on your draw and you find yourself down, go for the blade and stick it in the arm pit and/or neck, the gun is too risky to yourself when your only thought is getting the pig off of you.
The other risk of charge is to actually sneak all the way up on pig/s. This is very difficult to accomplish with their hearing and sense of smell. If you make a pig squeal at your hand you really need to be lookin' all around as they can come to the defense of others.
Brent
Old November 18, 2008, 02:46 PM   #3
fisherman66

If you really want a new handgun go fer it, but if you are hunting with a rifle and plan on using that rifle, then use the rifle.

I've never seen an unwounded pig charge. I've seen plenty of less curly tails and wide furry butts heading away from me, but never toward me if they had any inclination I was there.

If I were to handgun hunt piggies, I'd look at a 45LC or anything in that genre.
Old November 18, 2008, 03:02 PM   #4
zjeepgozweeln

My friend was charged by a one and took it with his 44 magnum lever action rifle. It saw him and squared off and started charging. All before a single shot was fired.
Old November 18, 2008, 03:08 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Fisherman I can amend that statement somewhat...
"I have never seen an unwounded hog charge unless there have been dogs working them..." I don't mean that dogs have to be on their tail at the moment either. I have had several pigs and hogs charge me when the dogs were not around at that moment...Usually a RRRRAAAHHHH will turn the little ones. But on the same note... My son "free tipped" (caught a wild hog by hand no dogs involved) a nice 200+ sow as she tried to put the slip on the dogs and ran right by him in tall grass. Funny thing is he never let go of them ears while sitting to his waist in swamp water and a hornet nest right behind him on a reed that he had disturbed from their siesta Hollerin' for help for 10-20 minutes until anyone came to grab her hind legs... Once you got a bigun' by the ears you better not let go until they are held fast somewhere else
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 18, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 03:16 PM   #6
fisherman66

Ya'll must breed dem pigs like you do yer bass. I've had the wind bust me and send a whole pack headin to the hills. Last one I shot was very close, but she was trying her best to outrun 150 grains. She finished second.

I carry a .357 on my side while out hunting (or used to). I don't go out unarmed, but I'm a lot more afraid of rabid lions or any lions for that matter. I'll take a rifle most every time. I just got sick of hikin my drawers up.
Old November 18, 2008, 05:04 PM   #7
thallub

I never carry a side arm. It is just me and my muzzleloader. I do put on chainsaw chaps when going into thickets after wounded hogs. Bring charged by hogs is what keeps my 70 year old heart working.

BTW: They're hogs not rhinos.
Old November 18, 2008, 05:19 PM   #8
FrontSight

Had a wounded boar charge me form 60 yards...fast as hell and meaner, too!! Dropped it with my last rifle round...I wish I had brought my .45 as backup b/c it was getting a little hairy!
Old November 18, 2008, 05:38 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While not a Rhino, the wild hog is to be considered "dangerous game".
Brent
Old November 18, 2008, 05:42 PM   #10
FrontSight

HOLY COW!!! Story behind it, please?!
Old November 18, 2008, 05:50 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is the link, Scrap,
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=283454
It was copy/pasted from a hog/dog hunting board. I am not any involved in the hunt. I simply posted it as at the time there were many here at TFL/Hunt going back and forth that
A)Hogs are just piggies
B)Hogs are dangerous game capable of inflicting serious injury.
It was an exciting hunt to be sure. I have never had these level of injury but been bitten several times and both junior and I have had britches torn. A little 60 pounder ran 'tween juniors legs and with one thrash of his head his little 3/4 inch tusks slashed his brand new jeans from knee to knee... Junior thought he had gotten castrated and didn't feel pain due to shock but on inspection he didn't even have a scratch...

Brent
Old November 18, 2008, 06:03 PM   #12
FrontSight

Wowwwwwww, thanks for the link...holy crap!! The one that charged me was about 220 pounds, would have definitely done some damage on me!
Old November 18, 2008, 06:55 PM   #13
fisherman66

HD, I wouldn't make the assertion that feral pigs aren't dangerous, but I'd guess most stories that involve injury or threat come from cornered, chased or injured hogs (perhaps even rabid). There are exceptions to every rule, and Mother Nature like to throw curve balls.

I'm sure you have killed many, many times the number of hogs our family has, so I will defer if you say unprovoked hogs are likely to attack.

BTW I'm eatin some of my latest pig as I type. Brined then smoked shoulder.

Last edited by fisherman66; November 18, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:02 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Unprovoked and not cornered are very LOW risk... It is those wounded, cornered and provoked ones we worry of. I think as far as unprovoked the elephant is far more likely to attack.
Not that it isn't going to happen but I have never thought of a rabid hog until your post and I have been in rabies warning areas where the coons and wild dogs were mentioned... Maybe I better pay attention to that too.
Brent
Old November 18, 2008, 07:37 PM   #15
Patriots

I can share with you my personal experiences using a handgun to hunt boar and white tail deer size game. I always had good success using my Glock 20 in 10mm. For home defense I use the DoubleTap Gold Dot 165gr hp but for hunting the game listed above I use DoubleTap 200gr XTP, or DoubleTap Beartooth WFNGC 200gr to 230gr. The Beartooth WFN ammo will penetrate straight through white tail deer and hogs/boar from a radius of around point blank to 100 feet and create a small exit wound and leave a blood trail to chase the animal, but they do kill the animal. My friends have had better success using hollow points on smaller deer and hogs/boar. Best ammo I seen for quicker shock and knock down power on that size game are the Winchester Platinum Tip and Winchester Partition Gold which blow a hole around the size of a golf ball or bigger out the other end.
I personally think the best rounds to use for that size game is anything from 10mm, 45Long Colt, 41mag, 44mag, 50AE, 454 Casull with a good quality HP like the Platinum Tip and Partition Gold from Winchester.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:45 PM   #16
Patriots

P.S. My friend was using his Desert Eagle in 44mag using Platinum Tip's, it can hold 8 rounds of either 41mag or 44mag. You can also use the D.E. chambered in 50AE holding 7 rounds. Great gun for hunting small to medium size game. And I love how you can buy all three barrels for the DE as their option, you can convert your DE to 357, 44 mag or 50AE by purchasing their kit.

Magnum Research has so many great options for you to choose from and you can choose from so many different kinds of holsters whether you want hunting holsters outside your jacket or underneath, hip holsters and what not, I was impressed with Magnum Research's customer service and their catalogue for DE customer, they treat you first class especially for DE buyers.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:53 PM   #17
Patriots

Quote:
P.S. If you're about to recommend a Desert Eagle, forget it. I'm not impressed with those unreliable Hollywood POS(sorry if I offended any owners).
I'm sorry, I had too.

Seriously, my friend's DE is very reliable and dependable, just clean it after every use and it works fine, he's had his since 2000 with no problems, and if you take care of it like a 1911 you'll be fine. I just love the fact you can put 8 rounds of 44mag and 7 rounds of 50ae in a semi-auto magazine.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:33 PM   #18
publius

I've killed lots of hogs in Texas and have never had one charge. The ones we trap will ram the sides of the cage trying to get to you, but they've had plenty of time and reason to get crazy. never had one charge me in the woods. I've never wounded one either. Could you be charged, sure, but I wouldn't base my next handgun purchase based on that scenario. I carry a .45 colt blackhawk in the woods just b/c I like to shoot deer/hogs if they are close w/it. If you want a hunting handgun I say get a good .45 Colt,.44 Mag, .41 Mag (pick one) and have fun hunting. If I wanted a good all around gun for target shooting and possibly hunting with i'd go w/a good .357 Mag.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:43 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am with publius on this too.... Nothin' wrong with getting a reason to buy another gun. One reason I suggested the .45ACP is that the 1911 is the coolest Auto loader platform on the face of the earth...
Brent
Old November 20, 2008, 09:33 AM   #20
Dusty Rivers

shot placement when under guned

I have hogs tearing up my ranch. I have NEVER seen one though. If I happen on one with a 22 MAG rifle or a 40 cal auto. Where should my shot placement be?

Do you bait them in? They come up to about 20 yards to the back of my house at night, but try as I might I have never gotten a flashlight one one.
Now coyotes and deer are a different story.

suggestions?

hope I haven't hijacked the thread
Thanks for any info.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:18 AM   #21
sholling

Quote:
Is a model 1911 .45 ACP or another semi auto 9mm enough to stop a charging pig? Should I pickup a .357 or .44 revolver?
I've been researching this myself. The problem is that if you get caught hunting in in the PRK with any FMJ ammo in that pistol - even as a backup, then you're in trouble. I picked up some Buffalo Bore 180gr flat nose lead for my 357. That should have the penetration needed. I'd rather have a 44mag but that's out of my budget right now. But if you really want an autoloader consider a 10mm loaded with DoubleTap's full power 230gr flat nose lead.
Old November 20, 2008, 12:08 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Dusty, Bait works well. I buy corn and soak it in water with yeat fir a week or 3 until it has a strong sour mash odor. Then pace the corn mostly in a pile with trhe rest scattered around that area. I use a strainer so to save the liquid. The liquid is slung with a cup up onto tree trunks and foilage as it will get the scent farther out. Once in the area they will home in on the corn. Game cam and/or motion light will cathc them in the act.
Brent
Old November 22, 2008, 02:13 AM   #23
T. O'Heir

If you can't make a killing shot with a .308, you should re-think hunting anything. A handgun isn't going to help. In any case, neither a .45 nor 9mm are suitable for hunting anything but varmints.
Old November 22, 2008, 11:35 AM   #24
Fat White Boy

I hunt Central California for pigs, also. I use either my Rem 700 in .308 or my Win model 70 in .270. I carry a Ruger Stainless Security Six in .357 Mag. for my side arm. I haven't ever been charged but my hunting buddy shot a pig, breaking its back. When he went to cut its throat, it jumped up using its front legs only and chased him for 60-70 yards until it bled out.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:57 PM   #25
phil mcwilliam

I have been on hundreds of hog hunts over the last 30 years and have only seen unwounded hogs charge on 3 occassions. A wounded boar, however, if approached will usually charge. I use to carry a sidearm for hog hunting and used the 38 Super in 1911 with great success. I also owned a S&W 44 magnum- but prefered the semi-auto for hogs. While a 9mm would be ok on smaller pigs, I think it would be on the light side when it comes to stopping a large boar thats charging. I no longer bother to carry a sidearm if I'm hunting with a rifle as I have never had a rifle fail on me, & the added weight of carrying a handgun & ammo is not worth it, especially if you do a lot of walking.