The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 6, 2017, 07:55 PM   #1
taylorce1

Recoil lug alignment tool?

I'm trying to install a barrel on a Savage rifle, no big deal I've done it several times. The thing that is different this time is I'm using an Accustock, the recoil lug isn't staked so it doesn't use the alignment notch on the action. I'm wondering if the parallel side recoil lug alignment tool PT&G sells for the Rem 700 will work to hold my recoil lug in place?
Old April 7, 2017, 10:24 AM   #2
tobnpr

Savage and the Rem 700 will use the same recoil lug alignment jigs.
I use a Kleindorst jig made for tapered Holland's lugs (tapered are easier to pop free of the bedding).

You should consider replacing the factory lug when you go to the trouble of rebarreling. Factory lugs are stamped, not machined- and are never flat. They either need to be set up on a mill and machined flat- or replaced with a precision lug (which is much easier than milling one). Lug replacement is mandatory when I true actions, and strongly recommended at all other times. Well worth the $40.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 7, 2017, 01:23 PM   #3
taylorce1

Thanks, that's what I thought. The problem with the Accustock is I didn't find an aftermarket lug for it. The Accustock uses a parallel lug that is shorter than the standard tapered lug that the non Accustock Savage's. Also because of the Accustok's bedding block I can't use a thicker than factory lug.
Old April 7, 2017, 02:07 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I had a tool 3-D printed for non-standard, tapered recoil lugs on two Marlin X7s (last-ditch Remlins).

The company printed it in the wrong orientation, making the shear lines align perfectly with stress points; but it still worked. (And it was my fault for not locking the print orientation how I wanted it.)

Rear action screw used for attachment, since I couldn't obtain another 1/4"-28 screw of appropriate length without buying 100+. (And the front screw was too short.)
The tool aligns via the screw hole and lower receiver rails.

Terrible picture that was auto-color-corrected and made even worse. But it's what I've got.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160728_160531035_800.jpg (54.5 KB, 1186 views)
Old April 10, 2017, 10:56 PM   #5
taylorce1

Here was what I was dealing with, I bought the rifle off of gunbroker and when I got it I could tell it didn't have the proper recoil lug. They listed it as having an Accustock rifle but I had my doubts, it went cheap enough I bought it anyway. As you can see someone did a poor job grinding the factory recoil lug down .

Not even close to the same dimensions as my factory lug.

They must have been scared to grind anymore on the recoil lug, so they decided to take a dremel to the stock. Bubba is alive and well.

This is how an unmolested Accustock should look.

Here it is all test fitted up.

I did tear it all back down so I could send it off for some more work. Bolt body, barrel, and recoil lug are all getting coated and the bolt handle is getting a new knob.
Old April 10, 2017, 11:12 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Savage has a simple tool that goes into the hole of the receiver and aligns the recoil lug while the barrel nut is tightened down.
Old April 11, 2017, 11:20 AM   #7
taylorce1

The one I was looking at for Remington's was very simple as well, just uses the front action screw hole to align the recoil lug. I was going to buy the PT&G tool, but I found a Badger Ordinance that does both tapered and parallel side recoil lugs for about $15 more.