The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

View Poll Results: Which cartridge?
25-06 1 7.14%
280AI 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 17, 2021, 07:24 PM   #51
BornFighting88

@Jim Watson,

Elephants and varmints. Bull barrel heavy tanks of rifles are great for sitting on the corner of a field and pasting any woodchuck that pops its unlucky head up.

Woodchucks and coyotes on midnight field cruises. And, of course, elephants…. Hahah
Old November 18, 2021, 11:22 AM   #52
std7mag

Too cheap, says the man that ordered a press from Germany!!

I'll have to check if they make the 110 Ultra Light in 280AI with a 24" barrel.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 18, 2021, 01:39 PM   #53
taylorce1

@std7mag

Don't get hung up on 22 vs. 24 inch barrels, deer and elk will not know the difference. Anything you gain on paper, won't be realized on game. An 18" barrel on my .308 didn't make it less effective than the original 22" on the elk I hunted this year.
Old November 18, 2021, 02:36 PM   #54
stagpanther

Quote:
Too cheap, says the man that ordered a press from Germany!!
I don't mind spending money--where it's worth it. Paying a grand or two to shave a couple pounds off a rifle isn't, for me. If I can't haul the rifle in and out--I sure as heck am not going to be able to haul the meat out.
Old November 19, 2021, 10:03 AM   #55
old roper

taylorce1, I read your post about mountain hunting. Kind of odd that you posted on 24 hr picture rifle used and you had mat layed out and shot rifle using bipods . Did you stage that photo.
NRA Life Member
Old November 19, 2021, 01:28 PM   #56
taylorce1

@old roper,

What's your point? I posted that picture here as well. That picture is of me shooting on BLM ground in UT in August. It's just a picture of the rifle I hunted with, it's heavier than I normally hunt with but I wanted to use my suppressor.

Last edited by taylorce1; November 19, 2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old November 20, 2021, 03:18 AM   #57
std7mag

History is a teacher.

A big part of the 6.5mm Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag not gaining more acceptance was the firearm they were developed for. The barrel were too short, resulting in quite a bit of muzzle blast. Many people just didn't like shooting them.

To me, increasing a cartridge to get more velocity, means you should use a barrel long enough to reap the benefits.
Kinda like a 22" or shorter barrel on a 7mm Rem Mag. To me it defeats the whole purpose of having a Rem Mag.

Were i to do a 22" barrel, i'd build another 7mm-08.

Old November 20, 2021, 08:22 AM   #58
stagpanther

I bought the axis II in 280AI and pulled the barrel and put a criterion 280AI match barrel on, the stock savage barrel will go on one of my many other savages when one of those gets shot out. In a lightweight rifle I don't notice any difference in felt recoil between the 7-08 and 280AI, but the 280AI is going to bring a definite advantage in both size of bullet and range. Even in the axis there is plenty of room to seat the new bullets long, another advantage. The 110 is slightly better, mostly in terms of the lug and the rear screw arrangement, but you can still true the axis for good results.
Old November 21, 2021, 11:04 AM   #59
std7mag

Glad to hear the Axis "can be trued for good results".
Especially as my bench rest build is centered on one.

So with the Mauser action out. And the possability of a western hunt in. And the fact i no longer have the Forbes. I'm searching for light weight. Within my budget.

Kimber Hunter comes in lightest at 5.5lb.
Followed by the Tikka T3X Lite, Savage Ultra Lite, and surprisingly the Savage Axis II all at 6.3-6.4lb.

So thinking an Axis build. 280AI with 24" fluted sporter barrel.
Issue seems to be finding a light weight stock within my budget.

Has anyone tried one of the GRS chassis/stocks?

Old November 21, 2021, 04:14 PM   #60
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag
Kimber Hunter comes in lightest at 5.5lb.
Followed by the Tikka T3X Lite, Savage Ultra Lite,
Buy one of those three rifles mount a scope and go hunting. Don't waste your money trying to make an Axis into a better rifle than those three.

I don't have any experience with GRS stocks, they don't list Savage Axis as an inlet. 2.3± lbs or 36 ounces so they're going to add weight to most rifles.
Old November 21, 2021, 05:39 PM   #61
stagpanther

That Kimber does look like a remarkable rifle Taylor. Looks like it actually weighs 6.5 lbs from the specs I could find. If I were to buy an already made rifle without the intent of swapping barrels and is around 1K--if I didn't already have 280 AI I'd probably be seduced by a model77--which can be had right now for $1295

Last edited by stagpanther; November 21, 2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old November 21, 2021, 11:09 PM   #62
stagpanther

I suspect 7mag likes the idea of quick spin-off barrel changes, which is one of the things savages are known for. Now that I think about it--7mag could have his cake and eat it too, the 280AI and 25-06 could be set up in the same LA rifle (as well as many others, 6.5-284, 35 whelen, etc and so on) since they share the same bolt head.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 21, 2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old November 22, 2021, 09:11 AM   #63
taylorce1

@stagpanther

The Ruger African is a neat rifle, but about 8.5lbs plus when optics are added. The Kimber hunter is about a 6.5 lbs plus with optics. If std7mag wants a barrel nut Tikka or Savage is the way to go. There are companies offering barrel nut conversions for the Tikla now.
Old November 22, 2021, 10:47 AM   #64
stagpanther

Hardwood axis 2 that I easily switch barrels to lots of different cartridges. It came in 25-06, but here it's wearing a 338-06. The stock is an excellent made-for-savage Boyds stock that I stripped the stain off of to highlight the yellow maple.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6067.jpg (115.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; November 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old November 23, 2021, 05:08 PM   #65
BornFighting88

That maple is sure good lookin'! I have always wanted a stock in tiger maple. But don't have the option of skipping a mortgage payment to do so... Lol

Have you come up with a plan for this long action Mauser??
Old November 23, 2021, 05:41 PM   #66
std7mag

Bornfighting,

The Mauser action went back to the person that "gave it to me".
He's getting senile in his old age! Lol

The overwhelming concensous on the poll was 280AI.
I'm looking now for another, non Mauser action for the build.

While i do like the ease of putting a barrel on a Savage, i don't like having several barrels for one action.
I'd end up wanting to grab one cartridge, and end up having the wrong barrel on.