The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
simonrichter

Glock 33rd mag

I'm surely not a prepper, but the recent economical developmants here in Europe makes one thoughtful, after all. In case of public unrest, riots and shortage of basic supplies (like it's already perceptible at the fringes of the EU), it is surely not the worst idea to keep a handgun in reserve. However, since I can't afford the time (and money) to practice a lot, I guess comes push to shove I'd be more of the "spray and pray" persuasion. Hence I wondered whether a 33rds mag would be a good idea...

Is it reliable? And can you handle the gun as long as it's fully loaded?

I'd be grateful for first hand experience since it's an item not cheap enough for just buying and trying.

Thx

PS: Yes, I'd better buy a shotgun, I know, but I don't have enough space for a long gun safe
Old April 22, 2013, 03:03 PM   #2
EAJ702

I have a GLOCK 19 and have used the 33 round OE Glock mags at the range. They are reliable and I haven’t experienced any negative handling issues when compared to utilizing a 15 round magazine. However I wouldn’t suggest it as a substitute for practice nor would I recommend it for home defense given the potential for real or imagined legal ramifications. If you’re not financially able to afford the ammunition for live fire practice, dry firing combined with live fire can be effective at a reduced cost. I would also suggest avoiding the less expensive 33 round aftermarket mags. In my experience they are not completely reliable.

Last edited by EAJ702; April 22, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:14 PM   #3
simonrichter

Thanks for the information.

Don't get me wrong - I never meant to use a high cap mag as kind of a substitute for shooting practice, and I DO do a lot of live fring, I'm just well aware that this still doesn't make me a marksman, so the more rounds I'd have on my portfolio the better.

Guess we anyway only have the original Glock mags here in Austria.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

I'm tempted to get one or two purely because of laziness and not having to fill a mag so often at the range!!

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of malfunctions because of them...
Old April 22, 2013, 03:20 PM   #5
BarryLee

I’ve used a 33 round magazine in a G26 for range use and it has worked great. There have been zero issues with feeding and really the gun handles fine with it in place.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 22, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
EAJ702

You may want to consider picking up a less expensive (not so reliable) 33 round aftermarket mag for the range. They’re great for malfunction drills.

It took me a while to master the GLOCK safe action trigger, which is why I suggested dry firing.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:41 PM   #7
simonrichter

Quote:
It took me a while to master the GLOCK safe action trigger, which is why I suggested dry firing
Don't know any other trigger system since I've never shot anything else than Glocks (not taking into account fun plinking with .22s)
Old April 23, 2013, 08:04 AM   #8
EAJ702

I’ve shot pistols with SA, DA/SA and DAO triggers, but for whatever reason it took me a while to become comfortable with and master the feel of Glock safe action trigger. I obviously adjusted.

Old April 23, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
RBid

I believe that the 33rd Glock mags are more practical than long guns for urban or suburban residents. Simply put, most of us are more likely to pack spare 33/31/27/22 round mags than we are to have rifles with us. Despite how fun it is to talk about our "go to" systems, fighting our way to long guns, etc... the reality is that we'll use what we have. Unless we see a long term interruption of emergency services, concealable handguns will continue to be the most practical defensive firearms for use outside of the home, and extended mags will be the most practical package for delivering firepower.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Brit

The 33 round magazine, was to me, for the Glock 18, the full auto model of the Glock 17.

But they work well.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:07 PM   #11
TxFlyFish

they call them "happy sticks" for a reason
Old April 24, 2013, 01:11 AM   #12
mumblyj0e

I have one and used it in a glock 26. It's ok, i didn't get any feed issues or failures with it but I wouldn't buy another one even though the prices are coming down. For my purposes I was wanting it as a range toy so that I could just get into a rhythm and practice accuracy. I found that it wobbles around quite a bit and my groups are wider than the 10 round mags. I'm looking to upgrade to a Glock 17 though so I'll see how it works in that.

Tags
33 round magazine , 9mm , glock , spray and pray