The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2018, 02:13 PM   #1
bspillman

Any Steyr M 40 A1 fans out there?

What do you guys think of these? How’s the customer service?
Old July 19, 2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Dan-O

If I found one at a decent price I’d probably get it.
Old July 20, 2018, 02:58 AM   #3
ROCK6

I've had my M9-A1 for some time now, and fortunately never needed their customer service. I can't comment on that, but I know their marketing strategy kind of sucks. That said, it's an outstanding handgun and while I use Glocks more often, I really prefer the Steyr for how it feels in the hand...also, I've never had an issue with it. If it's a good deal, jump on it...

ROCK6
Old July 20, 2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Fishbed77

My cousin has a first-gen M40. It's a well-made gun that shoots well, but is quite chunky in form factor. The sights seem strange, but work well. Can't speak to Steyr customer service - as far as I know, he's never needed it.
Old July 24, 2018, 10:50 PM   #5
Worc

I have more experience with the M9-A1's and I own a L9-A1. One of my buddies does have a M40-A1. He bought based off my recommendation out of about a half dozen models. His is exceptional when it comes to accuracy. The 8 or so M/L-A1's I have shot have all been at least very accurate and 100% reliable. I've not met anyone yet who has not commented on how nice the grip feels when in hand. Only one has complained about the grip angle which is similar to a Glock. These guns tend to balance with a little weight forward. Your hand is also positioned deep in the grip and closer to the barrel end of the gun. They also have a very low bore axis. All of these traits help these models have less felt recoil and muzzle flip for their weight. Their triggers are as good as any other striker model currently on the market. The trigger safety blade does not pivot like most other striker models. It instead compresses straight backwards which I find has a better feel. The reset is pretty decent in terms of length. It could be much more tactile though and seems to be pretty consistent from model to model. They are not the most popular model so, they don't have the most accessories available. There are some aftermarket parts though and I have a BT grip plug in my L9-A1. Spare mags were easy to find and priced lower that most of my other 9's. Some don't like the way the guns look but, I'm not one of them. Some people hate the trap sights, some love em, and other don't seem to care either way (like me).

They are not the the gun for everyone, but I consider them to be under rated.