The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 7, 2006, 01:31 AM   #1
gunslinger555

Destructive Devices

What is the process of getting things like grenade launchers and the ammo they fire? Or are they just illegal to own?
Old August 7, 2006, 05:37 AM   #2
shaggy

40mm grenade launchers like the M203 and M79 can be bought just like machineguns and suppressors - the process is virtually the same and the transfer tax is $200. Only difference is that for an interstate transfer, you'd need to find a dealer in destructive devices. Similarly, one could (in theory) buy 40mm HE ammunition, but each round would have to be separately registered (and cost you another $200 tax each). In reality, however, even if you could get a signoff for 40mm HE rounds, you wouldn't find any manufacturer willing to sell them to a civilian. What most M203 and M79 owners do is just shoot chalk practice rounds, flares, and/or the 18 shot .22 round by Randy Shivak.

http://www.mr40mm.com/page4.html
Old August 7, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

One problem is that there are very few licensed dealers in DD's. It is a separate license (Type 9), and with few sales and little profit, most dealers don't bother. I have been told (I don't vouch for the info) that there are only two DD dealers in PA, where there are dozens of Class 3 dealers, and some states don't have any, which means no one in those states can buy any DD.

Jim
Old August 7, 2006, 01:12 PM   #4
gunslinger555

Thanx for the info, if I was to get one it would be for the 40mm shotgun shells tho
Old August 9, 2006, 09:30 PM   #5
CleverNickname

Quote:
have been told (I don't vouch for the info) that there are only two DD dealers in PA, where there are dozens of Class 3 dealers, and some states don't have any, which means no one in those states can buy any DD.
No, if you don't have a type 09 or 10 FFL in your state, you just have the gun transferred through a "normal" FFL. The DD is still a firearm and an FFL can receive it in interstate commerce. The only difference is that the transfer to an FFL who's not a DD dealer or manufacturer is taxed, so you'll pay $400 in taxes instead of $200.

I've also heard that the BATF will allow a non-DD SOT to transfer a DD tax-free if there's no DD dealer in the state and the SOT hasn't done any DD transfers yet that year.
Old September 3, 2006, 09:42 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Thank, Clever, sounds like BATFE has made a rule to get around the problem. But if I wanted to get a DD, I think I would verify everything through BATFE before wading into that pond.

Jim