The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 31, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1
LaDel Richards

in need of some info on hawes .357

I have an older 357 that i would like to know the year of it and possibly what it may be worth. On the left side of the barrel it says HAWES FIREARMS CO. LOS ANGELES,CALIFORNIA MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY BY J.P. SAUER & SOHN 3/18813 AND THE # 68, on the right side it saysWESTERN MARSHAL .357MAG. CAL. If anyone knows anything about them please help me to learn.
Old March 31, 2006, 07:39 PM   #2
RJay

Theres not a lot of history to review LaDel, During the the late 50s and into the 60s there were a number of westerns on TV. There were as many as 32 different shows , Lawman, Gunsmoke ( 22yrs), Have gun will travel, The Guns of Will Sonnet, The Westerner, Maverick, Sugarfoot,Wagon Train, Rawhide, and so on and so on. This caused a demand for western single action guns. About this time Colt decided to stop making the Colt Peacemaker ( real smart people). Hawes helped feed the demand by importing single action type guns from both Italy and Germany. They had about 8 to 10 different single action Marshall series. You could get them blued, chromed , half and half, Pearl handles, Rosewood,etc, etc. The Western Marshall was blue only and made by the German firm of J P Sauer and Sons . Introduced in 1968, discontinued in 1980. The value is not high and there's not much of a collectors market for them. In exc cond about 200 down to 135 in good. e-gunparts has some parts for them . I don't know of any records that would pinpoint the just what year your gun was made ( Hawes is long gone and I don't believe Sauer is making handguns anymore). Best I can do, hope that helps.
Old April 1, 2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Quantrill

I have a Hawes Western Marshall in .44 mag that I bought in 1968. My wife uses it for C.A.S. I had an inch cut off the barrel and changed the front sight for quicker sight picture aquisition. My finicky gunsmith pronounced the gun, "a solid sixgun". Quantrill
Old April 18, 2011, 09:09 AM   #4
roboink

Hawes Western Marshall

Contact Sig Sauer via e-mail and give them your guns serial number. I have a Hawes Western Marshall in 44 mag. I e-mailed them with the number and took them a few days, but found it was made in 1968.
Old July 14, 2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Dockingbay327

Hawes Sauer & Sohn 44 Marshal serial number

@ roboink- What email address did you use? I called SigSauer today and the guy told me they lost the records in "the war" and cannot track that?
I have a 44 mag Western Marshal that I just got and would love to know when it was made. 20859/4 is stamped into it.
Your help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old April 3, 2012, 08:59 PM   #6
roboink

Sig Sauer e-mail

I e-mailed the company in Germany...go to their website. I will see if I can find it...
e-mail is : [email protected]

the name is Sigrid Fiss of Sig Sauer.
Old April 4, 2012, 05:22 AM   #7
SDC

Since these revolvers were proofed after the war, there should be a two-digit date stamp over the proof-house stamp (like a "68" over an antler, meaning it was proofed in 1968).
Old April 4, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
I called SigSauer today and the guy told me they lost the records in "the war" and cannot track that?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 7, 2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Gunplummer

I have a .44 model for 30-35 years. It shoots well and the barrel,frame, and cylinder are of good steel, but there is a lot of "Potmetal" on it.
Old April 7, 2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
I called SigSauer today and the guy told me they lost the records in "the war" and cannot track that?
There was a war in Germany in the 1970s???