The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 1, 2020, 11:12 PM   #1
Holmes529

Luger worth?

Have the opportunity to buy a WW2 Luger. It’s all-marching, metal finish is 85%, the bore is pristine, the grips are original and in good condition, and the magazine is non-matching, but original to that era. What’s it worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 2, 2020, 12:17 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Simpson has a lot of Lugers at full retail.
https://simpsonltd.com/lugers/

Price varies wildly for reasons unobvious to me.
Old August 2, 2020, 08:28 AM   #3
highpower3006

Around here, if it is in decent condition, a matching number Luger will generally sell for for around $1000-$1200 +or-. Last year I picked up a 1937 S/42 in about the same 85% condition as the one you describe, all matching including the magazine along with it's original WWII holster and the extra (non matching) magazine and loading tool for $1250. I also picked up a matching number, except for the magazine, 1920 dated Police Luger marked to the Berlin PD for $750. I tend to shop for deals, so I usually get martial guns for a bit less than the going rate, but contrary to the prices that high end marketers like Simpsons ask for their guns, garden variety Lugers are not made of gold.

A lot depends on just what sort of WWII Luger it is. The early pre war letter series guns will bring more as will a Krieghoff. There are a myriad of subtle differences that can affect the value. Any original accessories that come with it will of course make it more valuable.

An 85% gun is not in good enough condition to attract the more well heeled collectors and generally speaking will not warrant a high price unless it is something rare like a Navy marked Krieghoff.

Of course the price point depends on if you are buying or selling. If you are selling, how you market it will largely determine how much you will realize off of the sale and if you are buying, it will depend on just how proud of it the seller is.
Old August 2, 2020, 02:30 PM   #4
Holmes529

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower3006 View Post
Around here, if it is in decent condition, a matching number Luger will generally sell for for around $1000-$1200 +or-. Last year I picked up a 1937 S/42 in about the same 85% condition as the one you describe, all matching including the magazine along with it's original WWII holster and the extra (non matching) magazine and loading tool for $1250. I also picked up a matching number, except for the magazine, 1920 dated Police Luger marked to the Berlin PD for $750. I tend to shop for deals, so I usually get martial guns for a bit less than the going rate, but contrary to the prices that high end marketers like Simpsons ask for their guns, garden variety Lugers are not made of gold.

A lot depends on just what sort of WWII Luger it is. The early pre war letter series guns will bring more as will a Krieghoff. There are a myriad of subtle differences that can affect the value. Any original accessories that come with it will of course make it more valuable.

An 85% gun is not in good enough condition to attract the more well heeled collectors and generally speaking will not warrant a high price unless it is something rare like a Navy marked Krieghoff.

Of course the price point depends on if you are buying or selling. If you are selling, how you market it will largely determine how much you will realize off of the sale and if you are buying, it will depend on just how proud of it the seller is.

Wow, tons of info. Thanks so much for sharing. Definitely going to use this to help me shop around for one

Old August 2, 2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Rinspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
Simpson has a lot of Lugers at full retail.
https://simpsonltd.com/lugers/

Price varies wildly for reasons unobvious to me.

Their prices always looked full retail plus 30% to me.
Old August 2, 2020, 03:16 PM   #6
Holmes529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Their prices always looked full retail plus 30% to me.

That’s how I feel, too. I’d have to be really desperate to buy a Luger from them

Old August 3, 2020, 01:42 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Around here, if it is in decent condition, a matching number Luger will generally sell for for around $1000-$1200 +or-....
Around here, you can't touch an all matching Luger with decent finish for $1200, and the correct holster adds a couple hundred more.

and that's for a "common" standard model.
Old August 3, 2020, 03:23 PM   #8
Drm50

Lugers are like snowflakes, find out what you have before you sell. $1K is just starting bid a decent matched shooter of most common types.