The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 9, 2015, 12:03 PM   #1
WWWJD

Broken record post: Which can?

Hey guys,
More often than not, I find myself wanting a can for my Remington .308 and my Ruger SR556. A .30 cal can for both firearms makes the most sense for me. My question is *drum roll* which one?!

I know AAC makes a couple that are suited for multi-caliber use, and are QD with their brake/flash hider adapters. They've got a couple versions though. What's the difference between say, the 762-SD and the SR-7? 90T vs. 51T?

Who else is in the running for something like this? My local dealer can get just about anything. I wanna go down there and see what I need to do to get started with them. I'd like to walk in with an idea of what I'm after hardware wise though. AAC vs. Gemtech and others?

This post will all be opinion. Let em' fly, and thanks.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old September 9, 2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I have a AAC 762SDN-6 that uses the 51t mounts. The can is great... The mount has a little wiggle (rotation) on some of my mounts. The rotation is minimal, just the wiggle between teeth, but its there.

I have never had a problem with the wiggle causing any type of problem. Just my OCD nature to want it to lock up solidly makes it seem like an issue.

As for performance, the can is GREAT. I shoot it on two 556 AR's (one 10.5" & one 16") two 300blk guns (one 9" AR & one 16" boltgun) and its been on 3 different 308 bolt guns. The can is 100% a winner, the mounts are 90% winners.

One thing though... That can is overkill on a 300blk SBR. Too long, too heavy. But it works. I just bought a Gemtech GMT300blk Ti can for those guns. Shorter and lighter
Old September 9, 2015, 05:26 PM   #3
rjrivero

I'm an old school kinda guy. I use Allen Engineering suppressors (formerly sold as Ops Inc). They're not the lightest, the attachment is thread on to their muzzle brake or flash hider but the poi is minimal and suppression is as good as anything else I've heard. I use them on my Scooed/precision rifle and my AR's as well.
Old September 9, 2015, 09:57 PM   #4
WWWJD

Sharkbite, is that wiggle something that wouldn't be there with the other type of mount? I feel like something like that would drive me crazy. I have a CDO problem too.

Keep em' comin!

NRA Endowment FTW
Old September 10, 2015, 01:26 AM   #5
ripnbst

Check out Crux Suppressors.
Old September 11, 2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Mobuck

Depends on what you expect. It takes a LOT more can to stand up to "mag dumps" with a 223 and longer strings of fire from 308 than a few shots here and there.
You have to carry and support all that extra can every time you use it. If you're not intending to do either of the above, you may be able to use a smaller, lighter model. Also decide if you want to use a thread adapter (5/8x24 to 1/2x28) @ $25-30 or prefer a can with a replaceable end cap with different threads @ $75-100.
Old September 11, 2015, 08:47 AM   #7
WWWJD

Well, I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've done a mag dump; I prefer to hit what I'm aiming at. Otherwise it's just a waste of ammo. And as much as I aspire to shoot regularly, I think I probably only get to the range once a month.

When I youtube these things, they all sound the same to me and in my line of work, I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for'.... within reason. I like the idea of having the single QD piece that can fit a muzzle break on my .308 and a flash hider on my 5.56. But am I sacrificing quality in doing so?

Sharkbite's comment makes me wonder. I'm mostly a bench/prone shooter; I don't guess I really care about weight or length.

Gah. Found this thread with some points to ponder: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/422704_.html

NRA Endowment FTW
Old September 11, 2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Mobuck

You can go the QD "ratchet mount" route and put the appropriate flash hider mount on each of your rifles($80-100 per rifle). More expensive than a thread adapter but simpler than changing the tail piece(also a good plan if your choice of can is sealed).
I seriously doubt you'll be able to discern a difference in sound from a recording(u tube). What you don't hear on the recorded video(not so much anyway) is the sonic crack of the bullet. Muffling the muzzle blast doesn't stop the bullet "pop".