The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 12, 2019, 08:48 PM   #26
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Didn't we typically ridicule "match grade" barrels as gimmicky. Ie, XD to XD-M get ridiculed for the "whatever they called it match barrel"?

Still haven't heard what makes the Gen5 barrel different. Technically. Hope that isn't my ignorance, just haven't run across it.

Either that or Glock got smart and didn't use the words Match Grade.
https://www.guns.com/news/2017/10/05...t-to-yes-video
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/ge...ility.1762214/

Other changes:
https://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the...-5-129141.html
As a note in the above article, from what I can tell previous generation Glock 19 barrels will work in a Gen 5. The Gen 5 now uses the same locking block for the 17 and 19 to improve parts commonality, meaning the Gen 4 17 won't work in the Gen 5.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 12, 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old June 12, 2019, 09:58 PM   #27
AreYaSerious

I personally run Gen 5 Glocks, I did have Gen 3's for edc prior. The Gen 5 is the best Glock generation made. I personally didn't like Glocks finger grooves and the trigger is great out of the box. I personally use to have S&W M&P (Not the 2.0), Springfield XD mod 2. The original M&P got the job done, but I never cared for it.

I personally like the Gen 5 and glock because I run multiple EDC for different purposes. The reasons why is magazine compatibility (except the 43, 43x, and 48) I can run the same Mags for multiple guns.

Why I like Glock, they work. Are they the best? No. However with the aftermarket support you can make them how you want. They run reliable for so many rounds trouble free.

Not trying to push Glock on anyone, but that's what works for me. Buying a gun is a personal thing. Whatever fits you is what you need to go with. I don't care about the Brand, Caliber etc. It's what you want.

Anyway back to the 17, it's a an amazing firearm. I feel it's a little big for EDC, You could start with the M&P 2.0 and add the Glock 17 later down the road. If I wasn't invested in Glock mags and invested so much time with Glocks, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the M&P 2.0 line up. I wouldn't hesitate with the CZ p10c either. This is the golden age in firearms, it's hard to go wrong now-a-days.