The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 17, 2012, 01:32 PM   #1
BarryLee

American Guns Cancelled After Recent Events

The Discovery channel has cancelled the hit show American Guns in apparent response to complaints after recent violent incidents. I realize the show was not really popular with most of us on this site, but should it have been canceled because of recent events. The show was apparently fairly popular and it seemed to be in position to be renewed for another season.

Some of the complaints about the show said, “Sadly your program makes buying/owning guns seem fun, glamorous, even normal” and “With Discovery shows like 'Sons of Guns', 'American Guns', 'Ted Nugent's Gun Country' etc it's not surprising how guns r seen as acceptable.” There is also some discussion in Hollywood related to some upcoming violent films and how to precede with releases and promotions.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 17, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Carry_24/7

Probably an excuse to cancel it....an opportunity to save face and appear "sensitive" to the public.

Businesses make business decisions.....
Old December 17, 2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

Censorship
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 17, 2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Ben Towe

I just read that on Fox News, too. Apparently they felt the need to cancel a relatively wholesome show, however silly, but elected to keep Amish Mafia, which portrays an Amish mob family running a protection racket, among other things.

This is the mentality, keep the one that portrays criminal activity and illegal use of firearms. Not to mention, Amish Mafia is mind-numbingly stupid. I suggest dropping a line to Discovery about the decision, as I intend to do.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Stressfire

At least we will still have Moonshiners and Amish Mafia. Oh, wait, aren't those activities illegal?
Old December 17, 2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Metal god

And so it begains . Irrational actions do to an irrational act . Better strap in it's going to get bumpy . Although the sunday talk shows like MTP were respectful to all sides . It will not stay that way .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 17, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
BarryLee

Well, I don’t consider it censorship since they canceled their own show. Also, I suspect the cancellation had more to do with advertisers jumping ship than anything else.

As I said I never really watched the show, but it did show a somewhat normal family enjoying the shooting sports and I think that was a good thing.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 17, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Ben Towe

I just contacted them through their Viewer Relations department informing them I would no longer be tuning into Discovery or her sister channels and why. I will let y'all know their response, if any.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:06 PM   #9
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
elected to keep Amish Mafia,
This is a for real tv show? Holy cow. I thought everybody was joking when I'd see "Amish Mafia" mentioned on the net.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #10
grubbylabs

No Amish Mafia is a real show and the comment about mind numbing stupid is a nice way of describing the show. I can't express in words what my real thoughts are on the show.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old December 17, 2012, 04:38 PM   #11
spacecoast

Moonshiners isn't exactly high-brow entertainment. I have watched it to maybe catch sight of some distant family members. You wouldn't think they would need to use explosives so often.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:44 PM   #12
P5 Guy

Quote:
Some of the complaints about the show said, “Sadly your program makes buying/owning guns seem fun, glamorous, even normal” and “With Discovery shows like 'Sons of Guns', 'American Guns', 'Ted Nugent's Gun Country' etc it's not surprising how guns r seen as acceptable.” There is also some discussion in Hollywood related to some upcoming violent films and how to precede with releases and promotions.
Isn't buying /owning guns fun and yes even normal for some of us. I know that I have a great time at the range and the others at the range are normal.

I have never watched the TV programs listed so maybe I'm wrong?
Old December 17, 2012, 06:37 PM   #13
8MM Mauser

That's amusing since according to CNN about 47% of Americans have at least one gun at home... So normal sounds like a pretty accurate description to me? I bet you couldn't get 47 percent of Americans to agree of pizza toppings FGS...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/09/politi...ica/index.html

The discovery channel has turned into the "nonsense" channel in my view. When I was little I used to watch educational shows about animals and space... now they show trash TV that mKe MTV look classy, seriously!
Old December 17, 2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

Voluntary censorship is still a form of censorship
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 17, 2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

Just a hint, we don't do liberal bashing. We speak to the gun issue.

Take the hint.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:31 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

It's censorship if the government tells them to shut it down. Otherwise, it's a business decision.

"Amish Mafia?" Am I missing something?
Old December 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Buzzcook

I seriously doubt the Discovery Channel was being sensitive. It is always about the money.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:12 PM   #18
jeepstrapped

I am suspicious. I think that may be the reason they are stating, but my guess is it has to do with something else.

Then again, thought the show was silly as all get out.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:19 PM   #19
SPEMack618

"amish mafia" and the like are the reason my tv never waivers from ESPN or Fox when new epsidoes of "Family Guy" are own.

I'm just old enough to remember "Wings" and "Inside the Navy SEALs"

I sent an email to the discovery channel's viewer relations address asking how they could cancel a show that shows lawful use of firearms when "moonshiners" shows a criminal armned with an AR-15 while committing criminal acts.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:22 PM   #20
nate45

I read that the program had already been cancelled sometime ago, due to low ratings.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Ben Towe

Tom, Amish Mafia is spectacularly idiotic show in which they (supposedly) follow around an Amish mob boss and his lieutenants (or whatever) running their protection racket and whatnot. Imagine an extremely pathetic version of the Godfather. Oh, and despite the fact that they're Amish they ride around in souped up diesel trucks and occasionally a BMW or Mercedes. That's about as much as I can tell you as I had to change channels due to the loss of IQ points.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:11 AM   #22
BoogieMan

Quote:
I seriously doubt the Discovery Channel was being sensitive. It is always about the money.
As every business should be. It is after all the reason to be in business.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; December 18, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:20 AM   #23
Magnum Mike

Quote:
Sadly your program makes buying/owning guns seem fun, glamorous, even normal
Oh no. All this time I thought they were all the above!
Old December 18, 2012, 07:40 AM   #24
rebs

That is the media for you, censorship at it finest. they will decide what is good for you to watch and what you shouldn't watch.
I wonder if more gun shows will be cancelled. I am writing the discovery channel and let them know I am not pleased with their decision, maybe more of us gun owners should do the same.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:08 AM   #25
Punisher_1

I see they were already running commercials on how many people are killed by firearms everyday during the evening news the other night. I hope the Military Channel doesn't disappear soon.
Closed Thread