The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Utahar15

The new and Old Reloader.

I’m getting back into reloading after 25 years out of the scene. I started reading several message boards and I keep seeing the same thing over and over again and I know the mod might delete this post but this is something all new and most old reloaders should read.

I see at least 3 to 5 posts a week I want to start reloading and what should I get. Then it gets into a heated debate about Blue, Vs, Green, Vs Red, Vs the other red and the other green. The same thing we put up with about Colt VS Smith or Glock VS XD, Ford VS Chevy or MAC VS PC.

I started out reloading on a friend’s RCBS with the piggy back add on. It did a fine job. I had another buddy that had an old lee press and it did just as good as job just took longer.

When you are getting your gear it not a bad IDEA to ask people what they use and if they like it, but I get tired of hearing buy Blue or F you. When you are starting out decide on your funds and how many round you will need to load at a time. Then ask the question and maybe give a budget that you have to start out with and go from there. Now we all like what we like and some of us would never use anything else. That’s cool and it great to say I like this and this is why.

I had a buddy that bought a Dillon 3 years ago (don’t remember the model) paid about $1000 for everything he got, loaded about 1000 rounds and it sat there not being used. He decided reloading was not for him. He sold it for $300 (no I didn’t know he was selling it). Then I also had another friend that bough a cheap lee press, dies and a hand prime tool and a set of 9mm dies for like $65 and reloaded 100 or so rounds and it sat for a while and he sold it for $20 (yes I got this one) Know they are both out money, but who lost the most?

This is when I started looking on the forums and started asking questions. I was told more time than one time, LEE sucks you can’t load crap with it. There dies are garbage and there scale is a POS. If you can’t go with the big boys (Dillon, RCBS or hornady) you might as well by factory ammo and be done with it. Now most the people on this forum are pretty cool, but some still are very pig headed and if the mods are ok with it so be it.

My advice to new guys do your home work. Set you budget and ask questions and don’t get into the THIS VS THAT. And old guys try and be realistic with the new guys, most of us can’t drop $1000 on a new hobby that we might HATE.

My advice to anyone new start with a single stage press. Color matters not. Lee is the cheapest, but you can get good deals on used stuff. If it were me I’d not buy my first press used unless you know what to look for. Sometimes little things will be missing and you may not know it. If you have a local mom and pop shop that the people know what they are talking about make friend with them and see what they might have. Even if you buy the press on line, you can get powder and primers from them and if they have a range they make you a good deal on some brass.

I have 3 presses and $30 is the most I paid for one and other stuff came with it. I got a RCBS JR3 press with a set of 38 Special dies for $30. My 2 lee presses were $20 and $25 for the breachlock system.

I’m and old cheap SOB and look for deal and talk the person down as much as I can. I check yard sales and Ebay (make sure you check new prices) and other online shopping.

Just remember what right for someone else might not fit you. Go to the big box sores and take a look at the kits and see how they look and feel and then ask questions. Start off with a manual or 2 and just have fun. FWIW, I have both RED, a green and even the other green that used to be yellow on my bench.

Robb
Old March 12, 2011, 04:22 PM   #2
LarryFlew

Nice post.
Old March 12, 2011, 06:10 PM   #3
wogpotter

That is the most common sense post I've read on any topic in the last several months.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 12, 2011, 10:58 PM   #4
tmlynch

I am excited to hear this:
Quote:
I started out reloading on a friend’s RCBS with the piggy back add on. It did a fine job.
My wife's cousin gave me his father's RCBS press and Piggyback. So far, I have mostly heard pessimism about this particular arrangement. your positive results are good to hear.

Regards,
Tom
Old March 12, 2011, 11:12 PM   #5
bigwrench

I like what I read here. A good no bs post. I would also like to say to some of the new guys joining us in our fun hobby, research the reloading process thurouly before purchasing equipment. I think if you gain a good understanding or reloading first, you will have already answered many questions about what equipment YOU need to get started. You can always upgrade and add to your equipment as your experiance level and shooting needs grow. I can not think of one peice of reloading equipment that I have purchased that does not still get used. Some stuff may get used less as I change focus on what or why I'm loading, and some stuff more, but it all gets used from time to time.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:42 AM   #6
jeepster11

yes

Very well said sir. I started on a red press and kick myself in the butt for getting rid of it because it was cheaper to switch calibers. Even though I do love my blue press they may not be for everyone.so it pays to do your homework and look for sweet deals I lucked into my dillon a fella was told buy the previous owner that he thought it would reload shotshells and he found out it didn't so I bought the press and all the goodies for 300 smackers and sold caliber conversion kits and projectiles and brass that I didn't use for 150 so I got my dillon for a whole 150 smackers I couldn't beat that with a stick.