The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Clark

Centering Dillon 600 swage

If I do not put my finger in there and center the case, the de swager will take a nasty bite out of the case head.

I thought about what I would do, and realized someone else MUST have had this problem. I googled it and found this spacer:

http://inlinefabrication.com/product...n-superswage-1

But that U channel spacer sitting in the channel is NOT what I would have done.
I would:
1) drill and tap in from both sides
2) or made two upside down U channel clips, one on each side

I biked too hard. I am just staring and can't think which to do.
I have thousand or two pieces LC 30-06 brass that has been waiting a couple years. They can wait until I can think or someone knows what is best.

Pic above same as link below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dillon swage 600 centering 5-5-2016.jpg (61.7 KB, 109 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 5, 2016, 08:23 PM   #2
oley55

Like yourself, I kept thinking about what I needed to make and wasn't able to easily come up material of the right thickness, and then I found the inlinefabrication thing.

when I bought it, the web site didn't quite show the same detail it does now and when delivered I was a bit disappointed that I had just spent $20 bucks for a couple pieces of molded plastic. But in truth the product works very well for me and I would buy again. A perfect example of KISS (keep it simple stupid) engineering.

That said, the best solution remains, "why doesn't Dillon provide the fix?"
Old May 8, 2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Clark

I measured the opening, subtracted the case width and divided the difference by 2. I need 0.052" spacers on either side of the case.

I measured masking tape as 0.005".

If folded masking tape over 9 times and got a flat pad ~ 0.045" thick.

I cut two thin strips from the pad.

I taped a vertical thin strip on either side of the channel wall.

I de crimped ~ 500 rounds and that seems to work.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?