The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
whiplash

S&W double trigger reset???

One of our jailers qualified with her S&W SW9 ("F" I think). She was having problems with pulling the trigger and no bang. I noticed her doing a good job at releasing her finger out only enough to reset the trigger. However, every few rounds it wouldn't fire. I tried it to reset and it has the feeling of going into neutral. It would go to reset, then all they way back with no resistance. After a couple more try's, I noticed a second reset. The trigger would go to the first reset physical and audible click, but then continue forward for a second reset. After getting to this second reset, and then to the rear to fire, everything fired just fine. So we worked on getting to this second reset, and had no more "no fires". This gun, if my memory is correct, resembles the old Sigma series (90's?). The trigger also looks like the M&P triggers. The million dollar question is.....is this second trigger reset normal for that model? Or is this trigger malfunctioning? I haven't shot every handgun, but I've shot a lot and never seen this second reset before. Any thoughts?

Didn't get time today to contact S&W.

Last edited by whiplash; March 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
whiplash

Bump
Old March 20, 2013, 05:38 PM   #3
carguychris

The SW9F is one of the 1st-generation Sigma pistols. These pistols were replaced by 2nd-gen "Enhanced" Sigma Series after only ~3 years of production, reportedly due to a number of deficiencies in the 1st-gen guns. The most frequently mentioned issues were chronic extraction and ejection problems, which were addressed with a redesigned extractor and ejector and an enlarged ejection port.

I do not know enough about Sigma evolution to know if S&W redesigned the trigger and/or whether this behavior is normal for a 1st-gen model. I can tell you, however, that the later Sigma trigger reset is long and has an odd feel- as with the M&P, although the two mechanisms reportedly share nothing in common other than the hinged design. A trip to a gun shop and a quick test of a newer Sigma trigger may help you to judge.

The SD9 VE and SD40 VE are the current 3rd-generation Sigma models.

FWIW S&W is well aware that the 1st-gen pistols have inherent problems, and has reportedly issued vouchers for free or discounted equivalent new-production Sigma pistols when a problematic 1st-gen pistol defies easy repair.

Last edited by carguychris; March 20, 2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: minor reword...