The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Sphawley

To saiga, or not?

I've been thinking about getting one of these, looks like a fun gun to have just to shoot! Anything good, bad, or indifferent I should know before I purcahse??

I plan to modify it as well, are all saiga parts universal or do they differ?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Old July 20, 2011, 09:03 AM   #2
leathermarshmallow

I traded a Glock 23 for a Saiga 12. It already had all sorts of US parts on it but did not do the trigger conversion. I like it that way. I have taken it out and shot two hundred shells through it. It is FUN! It gets the attention at my local range too.

Carolina shooter supplies has lots of doodads for the Saiga.

Here is a picture of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000477.jpg (245.9 KB, 118 views)
Old July 20, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Technosavant

If you can inspect it in person before buying, pull the gas valve and count the ports that are open to the tube. Ideally, there's 4, but precious few have all of them. Usually, there's three, and it will work fine (mine has three). Sometimes, there's two, one, or NONE. Skip that gun.

As for parts, some parts fit most everything AK (if you do the trigger conversion, you use pretty standard AK/Saiga parts), but some (like handguards) can be specific to the caliber (sometimes the 12 and 20 gauge Saigas take different items than the .410 or rifles).

They're fun guns, not always as reliable as a pump or traditional tube mag semiauto, but if you want one, then go for it.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4
TIGERARMS

The Saiga 12 is a great shotgun, but it is important to clean up a few things before you can be comfortable with it's reliability. The gun is designed to cycle heavy loads, and will not normally function too well on lighter bird/target load. I was able to do all of the modifications to convert it to the proper pistol grip configuration, and re-profile/polish the bolt and carrier so that it works flawlessly no matter what I feed it. The internet is your friend. Go visit the saiga forum, and check out the "How To's" on the conversion and bolt polishing. All it takes is a dremel kit and some patience.

Once you clear up those issues, you can just have fun with it. I joke around about my Saiga 12 being my "zombie" gun, as it looks really bad-a$$... but it's not my first choice for home/self defense. I built it because I love the AK-47 platform, and there are limitless options available for customization. They are a blast to shoot, though mine is pretty heavy. One thing is for sure though... it's an attention grabber.

Parts used:

Carolina Shooters Supply DIY trigger guard conversion kit (Includes modified Tapco trigger/hammer group)
ERGO AK47 pistol grip
Tapco T-6 stock
CAA Tactical adjustable cheek rest
Tapco VFG
UTG extended quad rail
Burris Fastfire II
Burris Fastfire II protector mount
Promag 10 round magazine (gen 2) I have others, but prefer these..
UTG rail covers on the bottom rail, generic ladder rail covers on the sides
MT-1280 Barrel Shroud from Alumalite US. (very sharp teeth)

(Please excuse the poor quality camera phone pics)

Old July 21, 2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Gun Casket

Get the Saiga!

I had two of these, sold one for a profit and sent the other one to Tony Rumore at Tromix (www.tromix.com) to get the barrell cut down to 8". I haven't got my gun back from Tony yet, but the stock gun shoots great and it's nice to only reload every 10-20 rounds.

Gas systems plugs up every now and again, but with good maintenance it's an awesome gun. I'm not sure if it will fit in my Gun Casket (www.GunCasket.com) but i'll find out as soon as I get it back from Tony.

Be carefult when doing anything to the gun to ensure you keep enough U.S. made parts on the gun so you don't get in trouble.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
TIGERARMS

Oh man GC... Of all the guys who know Saigas, you have the king of them building yours! I look forward to seeing it.
Old July 22, 2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm an 870 fan, but when I was offered a box stock Saiga to roadtest, I accepted with glee.

Had it for a year and 350-500 rounds. My conclusions....

Not a good choice for trap,skeet or sporting clays. Did have all my buddies try it out. Watching men put down Model 21s and Parkers to try out the Saiga was quite interesting.

But, for reducing threat levels in short time frame,close up crises, the 12 gauge Kalashnikov seems a good choice..

BTW, this had a 3 hole gas plug and ate everything on the middle setting including some 15 pellet 00 rounds that HURT out of an 870.

Had it a year and sent it back.

Darn nice shotgun.....
Old July 22, 2011, 11:34 PM   #8
The Real Wyatt

By all means get one! These are one of the most fun guns available. Get a Saiga-12 and five or so of Mike Davidsons 20 round drums and you'll have more fun at the range than you ever imagined. They're ugly as sin but reliable as a rock. Based on the Kalashnikov AK design they're one of the most reliable guns in the world. Benelli and Franchi owners will sneer at you, but you'll outshoot them at every turn in the road.

Get one! You'll not regret it.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:07 AM   #9
rottieman33

I use my Saiga 12 for skeet all the time and do real good last weekend I shot 23 out of 25 clays. You just got to keep mouth shut some times because some of the older guys with these big fancy skeet guns get upset when you shoot better than them with a Saiga. The 4th picture is a bottle opener i put on it just to make people ask questions.
Couple of good websites.
http://www.1alumalite.com/s12.html
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?
http://store.carolinashooterssupply....let/StoreFront

Old July 25, 2011, 11:30 PM   #10
Sphawley

Some pretty sweet saiga's...

Any one else got some cool pictures??
Old July 26, 2011, 12:08 AM   #11
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Benelli and Franchi owners will sneer at you, but you'll outshoot them at every turn in the road.
You must not have come up against any "good" Benelli or Franchi owners.... I do think the Saiga is cool..
Old July 26, 2011, 12:38 PM   #12
leathermarshmallow

Where did you get the bottle opener? I want one for mine.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:48 PM   #13
rottieman33

Bottle Opener

http://store.carolinashooterssupply....-BOTTLE/Detail
Old August 8, 2011, 03:38 AM   #14
Jamaicanj

I've never seen the bottle opener attachment before. Thanks for sharing